17 | THE WORLD'S GREATEST LOSS

GETTING to his mate was the easy part. Answering all of her questions as she drove them through the streets of Mystic Falls wasn't so easy. He settled on giving her a brief summary of the fight, then telling her what Alaric said about her and Elena being linked to him as his life force. Then about how Klaus didn't know that she was linked to Alaric's life as was going to kill Elena to save all of them, unknowingly killing his best friend. For the first time since meeting him, Margo thought that she was going to die by her best friends hand.

Klaus' Mansion was empty and it make the wildest Mikaelson afraid. Kol could smell Elena's blood, a lot of it too, and panicked. The Original then found the source of Elena's blood, it being in blood bags and he sighed in relief, there wasn't enough blood for her to be dead. He sped back outside to where Margo was waiting and got back in the car with her.

"She's not in there. There aren't enough blood bags filled for her to be dead." Kol told his mate, the relief visible on his face and she smiled.

"Well, I'm still alive so I kinda got that." The human pointed out teasingly. When Kol didn't reply to her joke, she sighed and glanced at him. He looked more worried than she's ever seen him and it broke her heart. "So, if the blood bags are still inside, then where the hell is Klaus because he wouldn't leave without either of those."

"Let's leave." Kol said suddenly, turning to face his mate with a serious expression. "We could leave right now and I could show you the world. Paris, London, New Orleans and all of the other great cities in the world." He was practically begging her.

"I would love nothing more, but we need to find Klaus first." Margo gave him an apologetic smile when his face fell. He nodded and gave her a quick, deep kiss on the lips.

"Okay, let's find Nik. Then we leave." Kol agreed, getting his excitement back, that he lost for a few seconds, as the realisation set in that he and Margo was going to leave and live a happy life together. The blonde started the car and started to drive.

Margo knew to check the Gilbert residence first. She told Kol to stay outside and wait for her while she talked to them. When the human jogged up the stairs, she tried to listen for sounds of fighting but only heard voices. When she opened the front door, a silence fell upon the house. In the kitchen she found her twin, Jeremy, Tyler, Elena and Caroline. They all had smiles on their faces but it was slowly fading as they saw her. The guilt that was on her brother's face, made her stomach drop.

"What did you do to him?" She managed to ask, her voice quivering with fear. Her hands shaking slightly. From just looking at her twin, she knew they did something to her best friend. And they were not planning on telling her.

"Margo, we didn't have another choice. He was going to kill Elena. You too." Caroline spoke up first, taking fast and blurting out the words.

"That's not what I asked, Caroline. What did you do?" She repeated, her eyes becoming harder as the seconds ticked by and no one answered her question. It was getting annoying and maddening. She wanted to know, no matter how bad it would be.

"I was dying. Damon and Stefan came to save me. When they had him by the heart, Bonnie started the desiccation spell, not knowing it was Klaus instead of Alaric." Elena explained and guilt took her over when tears rolled down Margo's eyes.

"Where is he?" She asked, her voice surprisingly strong.

"He is getting what he deserves. A life among the fishes. Damon and Stefan are going to dump his body in the ocean." Tyler spat at her, not caring about her feelings at all. She has a evil man for a best friend, or had. That isn't his problem though and he didn't feel guilty about doing what needed to be done.