CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

The morning after.

My eyes wouldn't open due to the mental exhaustion I was feeling. My body felt numb and I couldn't bring myself to get up although I could hear loudly my alarm.

My alarm finally stopped but my head was pounding. The feeling of a familiar warmth made me smile nonetheless and I hugged the figure I had recognized to be Sam. I realized that she was with me and frowned not understanding clearly how she ended up in the guest bedroom.

"Sam ?", my voice was tired and raspy, reminding me of how much tears went down my face yesterday.

I opened my puffy itchy eyes for a second and I saw the barely light face of my wife. I smiled slowly as I reached for a face with my hand.

My fingers slowly caressed her features and I noticed her cheek muscle contracting into a smile.

"I heard you leaving last night and you didn't sound in the best mood... I can't stay mad at you for more than a second, you know it...", her voice was soft and I hugged her a little tighter.

I rested my head against her chest and hugged her gently.

"Demi had a relapse yesterday, that's why I left.", I was hesitant to tell her but her gentle touches comforted me.

"It's okay, she needs you through this... not that I'm particularly glad that she needs you, you promised her you'd be there and I don't want you to break your promise, especially right now.", her voice was still gentle but a little more agitated than before.

I sensed her tense right after the mention of Demi was made but I slowly dragged my fingers against her skin to reassure somehow that I was here with her.

I looked up to see her face and she was looking up at the ceiling. I could see all the thoughts that were going through her mind.

"I love you.", I said as gently as I could, in a whisper that she could barely hear.

I noticed her lips itch into a smile and she looked down to me. I looked at her in the most loving and caring way I thought was possible before I closed my eyes, not expecting an answer.

I felt her hug me a little tighter until her lips reached my forehead.

"I love you, too.", was all she said.

I didn't want to interrupt this moment we were having but I needed to go check on Demi. I slowly straighten my position until I could kiss Sam's cheek and after placing a simple kiss, I pushed the tip of my nose against her skin, allowing a giggle to escape her lips.

"I need to go, I've to check everything's fine by Demetria's then I have to go to work.", I kissed her cheek again, rather smoothly.

She turned her head to look at me and she reached for my lips. Her hesitant move grew more confident as she placed her lips on mine, kissing me slowly. I didn't take the lead because I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable but it felt good to have her with me.

My confusion was growing more and more each passing day. I didn't know any better than to keep thinking about it.

I got away slowly and got out of bed, taking my phone before leaving with Sam following me. It was way earlier than the hour we would normally wake up at and Amy was still dead asleep.

I got ready, took a shower before leaving the house, making my way towards Demi's apartment. The way seemed shorter than the night before but I stopped on the way to get breakfast to go from one of her favorite place.

I reached her apartment soon after and opened the door. I noticed that everyone was still asleep and I dropped the bag on the table before walking towards Demi's bedroom. I slightly opened the door after knocking and receiving no answer.