The Kennedy Life: Back to the Future: Ch. 9

• Dedicated to Jessica

Chapter 9

History doesn't repeat itself, but it harmonizes, and what it usually makes is the devil's music.

~Stephen King, 11/22/63

___________________________

The start of the crisis had gone exactly as it had gone in the history books.

Caroline was engrossed into history. She loved anything of the 1960's anything except for Marilyn Monroe, the blonde bombshell who had died this year. She was into the Cold War so much she had even brought a pack of pictures snapped by Cuban spies.

Now she sat biting her thumb, in a chair with Bobby and Lyndon sitting near her. Her father had been reluctant at first but then he introduced Caroline to the Vice President. She'd been wary of him. She didn't like him like Bobby did. Bobby hated him even more. The hatred had grown when Caroline told him of the gruesome Vietnam War that lay in their path had fueled his anger.

There was other advisors but she didn't remember them too well. Her father had told them too. John Jr and the others were scouting Dealey Plaza for facts. People didn't know who they were so Bobby let them go. The young ones, Kara, Max, and Rory had stayed in DC. David had gone to Florida with other people with other soldiers.

Caroline held the book in her hands. It was titled the Cold War: the Kennedy's and the Johnson's.

When President Kenendy walked into the room, everyone stood. Caroline looked at him. He was clean shaven and his eyes were bright with full of determination.

Not like his past life, she observed quietly. The advisors sat back down and she squished in between Lyndon and Uncle Bobby. She kept her gaze on the floor as her father spoke. The missles Caroline had told him about. She had showed him multiple pictures and the pictures had been snapped from a satellite. And the missles were directed at Florida which was proven threat to all the United States and possibly even Mexico.

When her father's advisors pressed him for an attack, she shook her head. President Kennedy caught the movement of her shake but he didn't say anything.

While the men argued, she let her gaze travel across the room. She almost didn't want to fight but the way they chatting and yelling at each other made her angry. She raised her hand.

"Yes, Caroline?" Jack called her by her real name. The other people in the room knew what she was, a time traveler so they didn't gawk at her with shock. Although Lyndon snorted when she raised her hand, Bobby shut him up quickly by glaring at him.

"I beg your pardon," she began, "but the best idea is to let the Soviets back down."

The white haired man at the end of the room snorted. "Are you crazy girl? They will bomb us down in less then a heartbeat. We have to invade Cuba."

"No," she interjected. "Don't do that. You'll end up destroying innocent lives."

She remembered the tapes her mother had showed her. Although they were actors it'd been so real. She saw the screaming and the blood. The gore and the violence.

And Krushev. She shivered slightly. The cruel man from her father's presidency. She knew that Krushev and her father had once met. In 1961. Krushev had been charmed by Jackie but instead he bullied her father. Caroline had no intentions to greet Krushev warmly if they saved the president. She hated him too much. The way he had bullied and abused her father had made her angry. She didn't like him.

I don't want to meet him in the future, she sweared. I will not let myself be bullied by him.

No matter how hard she tried, Caroline could not banish the thought of Krushev from her head. She was engrossed that if they didn't do anything to the Soviet Leader, the United States would fall.

President Kennedy spoke up. She was so startled she fell out of the chair but she grabbed her balance.

"All right then," he said causally. "I will accept the invasion of Cuba."

What? A thousand images popped into Caroline's head. She felt like her lungs were on fire. She grabbed the desk as her chair was titled to the ground. She stood up and shook the dust off her. "You can't do that!"

Lyndon's eyes widened. He seemed surprise Caroline would challenge her own father.

She was screaming at him spit flying from her face. "Are you stupid? Do you want us dead? Do you want Krushev to win?" That really wasn't true. Krushev would back down. The coward would back down, she was sure of that but now in the process people would die. She didn't want people to die. She wanted people to live.

Bobby was staring weirdly at Caroline. The ruthlessness was not in his eyes. There was a gleaming look but not the dark one.

"What do you mean?" Lyndon asked deeply confused. He knew she was a time traveler but she wouldn't take it this far.

Her father on the hand, his face had turned red with anger and emberrassment. She faced him, glaring at him with determination in her eyes.

"Caroline." President Kennedy was trying hard to stay calm. He didn't want to burst in front of his daughter. "Sit down."

"To hell with sitting down!" She was furious. "Do you realize how many lives will be lost? We can't do this. Let the Soviets realize that they will create nuclear war. They will step down."

She saw her father's eyes glimmer with a look of undisguised rage. He managed to keep cool and he calmly ordered Bobby to set off the attack. Caroline was angry. Her face was red, everyone could see that. The others carefully walked past her, careful not to touch her in her seething emotions.

Finally when everyone left the room, she turned her attention on her father. He looked bent over and hurt. That didn't stop Caroline from exploding her anger.

"What's wrong with you? Why are you letting the innocent die? You're not Johnson are you?"

The last insult hit the president more violently then he had expected. He looked at Caroline in shock but she pushed past him, tears running down her face. John Jr was standing outside the door. He looked confused as she brushed past him.

"What happened?"

She didn't listen. The tears were running down her cheeks. Pain swelled like a bomb in her chest.

Whose idea was this anyway? Caroline wondered. She opened the door to her room and slammed the door shut. She collapsed on the bed, crying into the pillows. She continued to cry until her emotions were drained. But that didn't stop her from throwing a glass cup across the room. It the wall and shattered as it fell to the floor.

She continued to cry until finally sleep rolled over.

______________________________

The next will be the death of the Cuban exiles and Americans and President Kennedy's reaction. The Pov will be told from Kathleen's point of view 💕

_____________________________

Please review and have a nice day/night ❤️