The Kennedy Life: Back to the Future: Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Do what you know needs to be done.

Lynda A. Calder, The Enigma Diaries: Hidden History

_________________________

Kathleen felt the dry blood on her mouth. Her red ruby lipstick was smeared and splattered. Her brother, Max, paced beside her. He was anxious and nervous. To be truthful, Clint Hill had said, they had known they were coming. Caroline had been shocked by that.

Rory was laying on the floor, just frowning at the celling. She seemed nervous. She was sipping a coke from the desk.

Caroline looked outside. It was dark outside and raining hard. There was a gloom outside. She was sitting down next to the window, keeping her head up when the door opened. Max, startled, banged his head while trying to keep up. Clint Hill stared at them, his expression unreadable.

"He's waiting for you," the agent said simply. "He knows who you are and where you come from. No need to introduce yourself."

Caroline stood up stiffly, stretching her legs. She was sore all over from running. She let Clint lead them into the room where they were to meet "President Kennedy."

"How do you know?" Kathleen was frightened. She didn't want any bloodshed.

"Be quiet," Clint snapped. He shoved Kathleen forward and she stumbled. "Quit asking questions. No one asked you to do so."

"Are you going to kill us?" Rory was a little scared too. The agent gave her an odd look but didn't reply. He opened the door. Kathleen felt her lips go slack as she recognized her father sitting there, glasses on his face, and reading the newspapers. He looked up.

"Agent Hill." His eyes focused on them. Rory fidgeted like a nervous puppy. "You found them?"

"Yes, sir," Hill acknowledged. "These were the kids causing the problem of KKK."

Kathleen tried not to make eye contact with her father. The image of blood made her stomach churn.

"Sit," Bobby gestured at the seats. "I won't hurt you guys, I promise that."

Rory sat down quickly. Kathleen was half annoyed. She sat down and stared at Bobby.

Caroline was looking at her uncle awkwardly. "I'll stand."

Bobby raised an eyebrow at her but didn't speak. "Fine. We will get straight to the point. What were you doing back there? The KKK would have killed you."

"We didn't mean too," Rory spoke up. Bobby's gaze softened as he looked at her. She was the youngest after all. "We didn't even know they were there."

Bobby didn't snap to Rory's surprise. Of course he wouldn't. He was calm with kids, Kathleen remembered.

"You would have been killed," Bobby repeated. "Why were you guys hanging out here in anyway? Where you invited by President Kennedy?"

That was the tricky part, Kathleen thought. If she told him no that they had been wandering out in the woods, trying to find out where to warn the president, Bobby would kick them out and they'd be left to starve out in the woods. Uncle Teddy had also told them to not tell anyone about who they were or what they were planning. For once in her life, Kathleen had been conflicted by this. She wanted to tell him though. She couldn't live with the grief of her own father still alive but going to die in less then a decade.

The Attorney General was looking at her through slitted eyes waiting for one of them to respond. But Caroline beat Kathleen to it.

"We were sent by someone else," she declared.

Bobby focused his attention on Caroline. Kathleen was relived. She was fighting back tears as she remembered the blood soaking off her father's head.

"Who sent you?" Bobby asked.

"It was..." Caroline broke off, frowning trying to make an excuse. She couldn't tell him that Senator Ted Kennedy from the future had sent them, Bobby would think they were crazy. Then he would report them to the president.

Caroline couldn't think. She couldn't say they were soviets. That would screw everything up.

"Caroline." John brushed his fingers across her arm. A tender movement, Bobby thought. Just like Jack and Jackie when they weren't in the view of the camera. "I think we should just tell him the truth."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Rory grin in agreement. Kathleen looked like she was about to refuse. Max didn't say anything. He kept quiet.

Bobby was getting a little angry. "Who are you guys? Who sent you?"

"You want to know who sent us?" Caroline challenged him. Bobby looked at her startled. No one was supposed to challenge the attorney general. "Fine. But dont tell anyone."

Bobby was puzzled. "Who would I tell?"

"Maybe because the fate of history is in our hands," Max said quietly. He hadn't been speaking. He'd been staring off into space. "You would tell everyone you know."

Caroline sighed. She reached into her pocket and pulled out some tapes. They were the JFK asassination and the RFK asassination. She dropped them on the table. Bobby frowned.

"Just look and don't ask any questions till it's done," Caroline said. "This is what happens when you have political enemies."

___________________

Review for me please!!!!! 😄😃👌😽😘