The Meaning of Family (Simon x Reader)

Synopsis: After loosing your family, you struggle to find Jericho with your sister who is an android. When you finally reach Jericho, you are rescued by a man with blonde hair, who over the course of your time there, rescues you in more ways than one.

Word Count: 4926 words

---

"It's just a little further Amy..." You gasped. You had been walking in the snow for what seemed to be several hours. Your legs were beginning to grow numb, a gnawing feeling in your bones. You had stopped feeling the hunger in your empty stomach, as you continued to walk, determined to get your sister the help she needed the most. You felt her nuzzle into your back now, as you continued to carry her, forcing your legs to move further and further.

"Please don't strain yourself [F/N]..." She whispered, her voice sounding mechanical the further she rasped it.

"It's okay... you would do the same for me."

---

Your android sister was your whole world. When you were going through the hardest times in your life, she was there for you. She understood you better than anyone else did. When your parents first brought her into your life, you thought you would be unable to love an android. "Take care of Amy," Your mother told you. "She will be your younger sister."

You felt blinded by rage at the time. You knew the truth that no one else did; Amy was simply a replacement for the sister you were meant to have. The first time you met Amy, you yelled at her, taking out your rage on someone you believed was only a machine. But she simply smiled at you patiently, waiting for you to calm yourself down; and eventually you did. Over time, you were forced to take care of Amy as your parents wanted you to, and you learnt that you truly cared for the android. Without realizing it, you came to understand that you needed her as much as she needed you. 

You certainly needed her when the flames took the lives of your parents. It was very sudden, a complete freak accident. You had relatives willing to take you into their families; but Amy would have to leave. Once you heard the news that Amy would have her memories wiped and be resold, you left with her that night. You vowed that no matter what it took, you would survive on the streets of Detroit, even without food, shelter, or a job.

It was hard, but you managed to survive for a long time. You took shelter with Amy in abandoned buildings and cars. Sometimes passerbys would take pity on you and give you food, believing that you as well as Amy were both human.

But eventually, things became desperate. With no money for food, and no place for shelter, you reluctantly took to stealing. At first it was only a few little things; blankets for Amy, toys for Amy, food for you... then when there were storms rattling through the town, you tried to steal money to pay for a place to stay the night. That was your mistake.

Realizing Amy was an android, they came after you. You ran, your hand in Amy's, desperately sprinting as fast as possible. But the police androids were fast. You could hear bullets behind you, whistling past your ears; And then Amy collapsed beside you. You managed to drag her out of sight before the police came close and found you, but it was too late. The bullet had embedded in her shoulder, and thyrium poured from the wound.

You gazed up at the snow still falling as you walked with her on your back. As you were living on the streets of Detroit, you had met various androids. Some of them told you of a place called Jericho. You had always believed it was only a dream; a fantasy for desperate androids. But now you were desperate too, and you knew that if it existed, you would have to get Amy there. According to the myths, it was somewhere close by where you were now. It was a place where even an android like Amy could find help and happiness. You knew that if Jericho really existed, it would be the only place Amy could be truly safe.