Chapter 6: Hank Voight

We all pulled up at the little pub. It was Antonio, Jay, Kim, Hailey, Adam and I that came. We didn't think a huge group would be a big idea. This isn't a good neighborhood, someone might recognize us. 
We walked in and took a seat, this place was pretty populated for being a dive. 
Almost immediately after we sat down a woman came and asked us what we wanted. We all just ordered one beer. Couldn't be drunk for this. 
A man came out and stood on the stage. "I would like to introduce everyone's favourite stage girls, Gypsy and Violet." The man and the whole room clapped. 
The girls came out wearing the same thing, just different colours. 
Violet was wearing a black bra and high waisted black shorts that sat just above her belly button. They were both sparkly, so were the stockings they wore. Violet's hair was a washed out purple and Gypsy's was a vibrant blue. What they were wearing almost gave me a heart attack.

 What they were wearing almost gave me a heart attack

They sung a song called Problem by Natalia Kills

They sung a song called Problem by Natalia Kills. I think it only made Antonio and I gasp but everyone else seemed to be enjoying every second of their performance. 

Then Maria sung the second part 

I got your name
Hanging from my chain...
Don't you wanna claim
My body like a vandal?
You got the cure
Underneath your shirt...
Don't you wanna save this
Dirty little damsel?
Got my mink coat falling on the
Motel floor... you're on the bed
Wolf whistling louder louder
Your lips smudging all my
Make up... kicking both my heels off
Come and pin me down

And I almost had an Aneurysm between the lyrics and the motions she did with her body and Gypsy. 
When they finished Gypsy hugged Maria and walked off. 
"Hey everyone. I am going to slow this down a little bit okay?" 
People cheered their acceptance. 
"This song is called Sober by Demi Lovato, it hits very close to home for me so I hope you enjoy it." 
Maria sung this song about an apology for relapsing with so much passion. It really did hit close to home for her. Tears stung my eyes but I wouldn't dare let any of them show. Even if she isn't my daughter and is Antonio's little girl I want to help her in anyway I can. 
When she finished she wiped the tears that spilled down her cheeks and wet to the back room. 

The team and I went to the bar. 
"Wow that was..." Adam trailed off. 
"Intense? Deep? Beyond words? Beautiful?" Kim finished. 
"I want to help this girl." Hailey said. 
"We all do." Jay said. 
The bartender came over and we all ordered a second beer. Some of them something stronger. I think we needed it after that. 
"Hey Violet get your ass out here and help me out." The bartender yelled. 
Justin wasn't kidding about this douche bag. 
Not thirty second later Maria emerged from around the corner, makeup fixed, all the softness gone from her earlier performance. 
"Dan do I need to kick your ass a second time in two days?" She spat at him with a smile. 
Violet walked passed us and went to a younger man. "What can I get ya handsome?" 
"A Whiskey and a side of you." I slowly clenched my fists. We all waited there for him to make a move on her. 
She giggled. "Sorry baby but I ain't on the menu." She said turning and fixing his drink. 
The bartender came behind her, a little closer than I, and clearly Antonio liked, I held him back from getting up off his seat. Even though I wanted to intervene we can't. Not until she calls for help. Sometimes being a cop sucked. Not that I'd ever admit that to anyone ever.
She handed him his drink and stepped on the bartenders foot, hard. 
She walked up to Hailey who had just finished her drink. 
"Can I get you another?" Maria asked kindly. 
"Um, sure. I'm not driving." Maria smiled at Hailey's comment and poured her another. 
"So what's with that bartender?" Hailey asked. 
"Oh him? That's Dan. He's a pig, hitting on every young female that comes in here. If he starts to bother you, tell me I'll kick his ass again." 
I smiled at her comment. 
The bartender obviously heard and saw my smile. "Is something funny man?" He asked me trying to be intimidating. 
"No not at all." I smiled at him again, just to piss him off. 
Maria stepped in front of him, blocking me. Obviously trying to protect me.
The soft spot opened wider for her, she would put herself in front of this trash of a man to protect a random stranger, not many people her age - or in general for that matter, would do that. 
"Go do something useful Dan." She said. He growled. "Do your job, your a bartender, not a boxer." 
"And you are?" He asked leaning closer to her. 
"Do you really want to find out?" She threatened. 
He huffed and walked away. 
She turned around to me. Antonio and Jay were on both sides of me. 
"I'm really sorry about him. I swear he's Bipolar. Can I get you -" She was cut off by a screaming woman. Maria looked up then down, "shit." she muttered. 
She walked around the bar in her flashy showy outfit and stopped in front of the girl. "What the hell Amanda?" She shouted at the girl. 
"I saw you with him, my brother. I told you to stay away from him." She shouted and ran at Maria. Maria quickly dodged her.
"You think I'm with your brother?" Maria laughed like she found that amusing some how. The team kind of just stood there, we couldn't do anything and we have no idea what to do. "I saved his damn life. He was dealing again, and right into an undercover cops hand I may add. I saved him from TT and from the cops. You should be thanking me." She protested. The crowded Pub all turned to watch the fight. 
I've heard of TT, the police have been trying to get him for years, he was considered to be  dangerous. Drug Lord and all. I didn't know, I hadn't met him. How did Maria know her? 
"No way. You're lying." The girl protested. 
"Are you seriously going to fight me?" She laughed. 
"I don't care who you are, I won't let you near my brother." 
What was Maria into? 
"Then come on." Maria yelled at her. She threw a fist but Maria caught it easily, hitting her in the face, knocking to the ground. Amanda got up quickly, hitting Maria in the gut causing her to take a few steps back. Amanda charged her and Maria picked her up and slammed her back down on the table. Yeah, Amanda wasn't getting up anytime soon after that hit. "I told you not to fight me. I may be paused but I could still kill you. And do me a favour and tell your brother I send my best wishes." She teased and blew Amanda a kiss. "Okay everyone back to your drinks and depressing lives." Maria motioned around the room with her arms and the crowd disbanded and went back to their business. 
I walked up to Maria. "Are you okay?" 
"Oh yeah, I'm fine." She said brushing the wig hair over her shoulders and placing her hands on her hips, "just haven't done that in a while, that's all." 
"Where she hit you, are you hurt?" Antonio came beside me. 
"A bruise at most, all good thank you." 
Gypsy came running out of the back. "He's coming." She grabbed Maria's arm. 
"Who?" She asked. 
"Who do you think? Shift is ending early for us. We have to go. Now. We can't be here when he comes. Maria he will kill you, come on." Gypsy grabbed Maria frantically.
A pit grew in my stomach. We couldn't hide who we were anymore, not when  her life was in danger.
I flashed my badge. "We're detectives, Chicago PD, we can help." Maria's eyes bugged out and they sprinted to the back room and slammed the door. We chanced after them but the door was locked. Jay kicked down the door but they were already gone, so was all their stuff. 
"Nice move flashing the badge. Now she's gone and we have no idea what's going on." Antonio patted my back. Damn. Running from cops and bad guys? What the hell was going on?