Chapter 13: Jay Halstead

Maria wasted no time chasing after these men. She was bloody fast. 
I can't even imagine what she has gone threw but I had this compulsion to want to be there for her. To protect her. We are nine years apart. 
She caught up to one of the guys, threw him against the wall of the ally, punched him in the face and threw him behind her, knocking his ass to the ground and hauled ass after the other. I quickly grabbed the guy, cuffed his hand and the fence together. Voight would grab him. 
By the time we caught up to Maria she had already got this guy down, disarmed him and was hitting him. "Who did this to her?" She screamed at him. "Tell me!" She hit him again. 
"Dex's men." He whimpered. 
"And what about you. What were you doing?" 
"I was suppose to watch and wait for you to come, to tell Dex you found her, but you showed up with the cops." 
She hauled him up and slammed him against a wall. "Please don't kill me." He begged, Maria smacked him across the face. Antonio and I took a step closer. Maria threw him to the ground and grabbed his gun, aiming it at his head. 
"Maria stop." Antonio said. 
"I didn't hurt her. I didn't do anything." The guy said.
"No," she said. "Just waited and let my best frined bleed to death in her own house! It's just as bad man." She kicked him. 
"Maria please, don't do this." I begged her. 
She flicked the safety off and the guy raised his hands to his face in surrender. She cocked the gun and pulled the trigger. 
"You missed." The guy said relieved. 
"I don't miss. You just aren't worth living in a cell for the rest of my life." She loathed and kicked him one more time before she dropped the gun and picked him up, throwing him at Antonio. 
He cuffed the guy and walked out of the ally. 
I walked up to her. "That was impressive." 
"What was?" 
"Not shooting the bastard. Even cops have difficultly with that." 
"Oh God I wanted to." She confessed. 
"I know you did. But you didn't and that's what matters." 
I walked up to her and gripped her shoulders. "We're gonna get him." I told her. 
Maria looked up at me and my breath hitched. God, she was beautiful. 
Before I knew it we were hugging. Her arms wrapped around my midsection and mine around her upper back. We broke apart after a minute and she was starting to shiver. I pulled off my coat and helped her into it. 
"Thank you." She smiled at me. 
I returned it. "You're welcome."  

We got to the hospital but Anna was out cold. Maria stayed with her for a while but soon we had to leave so the doctors could take her for tests. 

We all drove back to the district and up to the Intelligence Office. "I will tell you all everything I know about Dex." She sat down. "On one condition." 
"Name it." Hank said. 
"You don't go after TT. Leave him out of this. I talked to him and he will corroborate with you guys." 
"I think we can make that work." Hank smiled at her. 
Hailey brought Maria new clothes, she couldn't sit in her best friends blood all day. 
Just seeing blood on her made me want to hurl, her blood or not. 
We spent most of the afternoon and into the evening and the next day working on leads and talking to all of our CI's about Dex and his men. 
So far all we know is that he's good at covering his tracks and anyone that speaks is silenced. 
He always find a way to get out of a situation or sets someone else up to take the fall. 
"Don't you have to go to work?" I heard Kim ask Maria. 
"I can't until my face is pretty again." She joked. 
I wanted to voice my opinion and say that she was beautiful regardless, but I opted out. 

Maria went to visit Anna everyday at the hospital, the doctors said that if it wasn't for Maria then Anna would have been dead. 
A hand clasped my shoulder, I turned around and see Will. "Hey." 
"Hey man." 
"How's she doing?" Will asked. We were both watching the girls laugh about something. 
"Hanging in there." 
"You like her." Will teased. 
"What are you talking about." 
"Dude, you're my brother. I know when you're into someone. You like this girl." 
"Yeah, I do, but she could be Hank's daughter, or Antonio's." 
"Yeah, well we haven't gotten the tests back yet, the lab is backed up. What happened to her face?" 
"Had a run in with some of Dex's men. There was six of them. She took out five of them." 
"Wow, that's impressive." 
"Tell me about it." 
"Anna is getting released today." Will said. 
"That's great."