Chapter 17: Jay Halstead

Maria passed out cold in the passenger seat. She looked so peaceful, so vulnerable. 
I don't know what it is about her but I want her. To keeper her safe, to protect her, to hold her and love her. I can't believe I'm even thinking about something like that, she was nine years younger than me. I guess what they say is true, love has no age. 
We pulled into the apartment parking lot. I turned the engine off and walked around to the passenger side. I unhooked Maria's seat belt and looped my arm under her knees, the other around her back, carrying her bride style. The gang came over laughing, "shh, she's sleeping." I whispered. They all silently walked behind me as we got into my apartment. 
I peeled the blankets back and softly laid Maria down in my bed, pulling the covers over her. 
I didn't put her in the spare room because my bed was bigger and more comfortable, also she'll probably won't hear us as loudly as she would in the spare room. And the thought of Maria sleeping in my bed gave me butterflies in my stomach. 
"There isn't much to go on with Dex. He covers his tracks incrediblely well." I walked in on Hank going over once again, what we already know. 
"How is she?" Hank stood. 
"Sleeping it off." I sat down and we talked about the case for a while but with nothing more to go on there wasn't much we could do at the moment. After an hour or two everyone started to leave and go home for the night. 
"Take care of her okay?" Antonio asked while I walked him to the door. 
"Always." 
With that everyone left and I sat down with me half drank beer watching the end of the game. 

A creek in the wood floor made me look toward my bedroom. Maria was standing in the doorway with the small blanket from the bottom of my bed wrapped around her shoulders. 
I just looked at her, it was all I could do. She was a sight, even with bedhead. 
Maria walked to the couch and sat beside me so the side of her body was pressed against me. 
"How are you feeling?" I all but whispered. 
She looked up at me. "Better now," and laid her head in between my neck and shoulder. 
I put my beer down on the table and wrapped my arm around her, rubbing her upper arm with my thumb. "Thank you," she whispered, snuggling in closer. 
"For what?" 
"For letting me stay here." 
"Of course." 
"I'll get out of your hair in the morning." 
"No rush, you can stay as long as you want."  
Maria lifted her head from my shoulder and scooted up so our faces where inches way. 
I didn't want to do anything to scare her away. I slowly raised my free hand and placed it on her cheek, her skin was so soft. 
Maria shifted and our foreheads met. I brushed my lips along hers and my breath hitched. 
She moved closer, and at the same time her hand weaved it's way through the back of my hair and pushed my head to hers. I let her guide me. Our lips finally met and it was like fireworks going off. Who knew one kiss could hold everything you've ever wanted. Toe curing, breath stealing, knee buckling kiss. 
We finally pulled back, only far enough for our foreheads to meet. "Wow." Was all my mouth could speak. 
"Yeah." She was just as out of breath as I was, good. "Can we try that again?" She asked under her breath. I nodded and pressed my lips. She was a great kisser - amazing. I could kiss her for the rest of my life and I would never complain. She lifted her one leg and was now sitting in my lap, straddling me. I rested one hand on her hip, the other tangled in her hair at the back of her neck. Her tongue slipped in my mouth and she tasted just as amazing. I grabbed her tailbone and pushed her closer to me. 
When we finally broke apart we were both breathing heavy with uneven breaths. 
She slowly slid down beside me, sitting the way she was before we kissed. She laced her fingers threw mine and looked up at me. "I like you." She said. 
"I like you too." I spoke the truth. "I don't want to ask, but is this the alcohol talking?" 
I expected her to probably yell at me, but all she did was squeeze my hand tighter. "Not for how I feel about you, no, but it probably gave me the courage to do that. Now I'm all sobered up." 
I placed a kiss on her head. "Good to know." A few minutes passed as we both watched the game. "Antonio said he is okay with this if he is your father, but if Hank is your father he will probably hang me by my nipples." I laughed.
"No, he won't. I'm seventeen, he can't say anything, plus I liked you before he was my father - if he even is. He has no say." After that we just watched the game, which mostly just consisted of yelling at the television as if the players could hear us. 
Maria yawned, "are you tired?" 
"A little, are you?" 
"A little." 
Maria stood up and extended her hand to me. I took it and stood, she walked me to my bedroom and climbed into my bed. I halted beside the bed. "I don't bite." She said. 
"Are you sure?" I asked. She knew I wasn't asking about the biting comment, but the fact of sleeping in the same bed. Sex was off the table for tonight and I think she knew that. Not after everything that has happened today, if we do decided to do it, then I want to do it right. 
"Yes, I mean nothing else is going to happen... tonight." 
I laughed and took off my shoes, my shirt and then my jeans. "Can I borrow one of your shirts?" Maria asked me. 
"Yeah," I reached into a dresser and pulled out a plain blue t-shirt and handed it to her. "Thanks." She pulled off her shirt, then put mine on, took off her bra and jeans and crawled under the covers. I got under as well and she snuggled up to me. I placed my left arm over her hip and put my right arm out and under her neck for support. She lanced her fingers through mine and relaxed in my arms. 
I waited for Maria to fall asleep before I let sleep take me. I watched her for a while. Not in a creepy way but she really did take my breath away. Finally, I succumbed to sleep and I held this wonderful woman in my arms. 

*Authors note: I'm Canadian, and in Canada the legal consent age is 16. Just for all the people who think it's weird or gross. I am 16 and I would totally get with Tom Cruise if I could. So not illegal, just not encouraged lol.*