9

I ran so fast, I could barely breathe.
My heart was beating with full force.
I wanted to get out of here. I wanted to get out of this horrible house that just broke my heart into pieces.

"Danielle!" I heard Marcus yell from behind me.
He was running after me.

No.

Just no.

I ran faster, not caring how much my legs hurt.
I was already out of the house, but I still had to reach the main gate.

I wish I had my car.

I wasn't so lucky with the security at the gate because they stopped me, wanting to know why I was in such a hurry to get out.

"Let me out you assholes" I yelled. The tears I had been holding back now flowing down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry Ma'am. We have to be sure everything is okay in the house before letting you out. Why were you running? Did someone try to hurt you? Is someone hurt in there?" They questioned me.

"Its okay Bernard. She is fine. I'll handle this" I heard Marcus say from behind me.
He walked towards me and grabbed my hand, but I jerked it away from him. He was dressed in a T-shirt and sweat pants now.

"Don't touch me you filthy good for nothing dog!" I yelled.

"Danielle stop this and at least let me explain" he begged.

His eyes showed regret and we were both panting.

" Tell them to let me get out of here now! I don't want to be in this house" I yelled.

"Danielle please. All I ask is that you hear me out" he looked completely broken.

I stared at him in awe.

What could he possibly have to say that would change what I just saw.

It was over.

We were over.

"Let me out of here. And I would listen to whatever you have to say" I said through clenched teeth.

Marcus paused for some seconds, then he heaved a deep sigh.
He gestured for the guards to open the gate, and they did immediately.

I ran out through the gate and broke down sobbing.

Marcus walked towards me and stopped close to where I was on the floor. I was on all fours, with my head bowed down, facing the floor.

"Danielle I'm sorry" he said.

I was silent.

" I waited for you at the movies. And you never showed up! I called you so many times Danielle. You didn't answer. I was upset Danielle. Caroline was there, and she was so understanding. I told her how I felt neglected by you. " he paused as if waiting for a reaction from me.

I didn't even move.

"S-she, W-we, Carol and I, we went to a bar after the movies. Maggie and Noah went home. Carol, she wanted us to have a few drinks because I was really upset and she wanted to help me calm down. We were drunk Danielle. I called a cab that brought us here and she spent the night in my room. One thing led to another and--. This morning I regretted it. I swear I did. I told her it was a mistake and that we were drunk so we should pretend like it never happened. But then, then she started crying. She said she had always loved me but couldn't tell me because of you. S-she filled my head with nonsense about how she would treat me way better than you do. She said I was like a king to her. She seduced me with her words Danielle. That's why I fell for her this morning again" he finished and squatted next to me.