11

Danielle

School was horrible.

I had to wear the only outfit I had in Eric's house, which was a T-shirt and shorts.
I hated not looking appealing. It made me loose my confidence.

I had continuously complained about looking awful in the car as Eric drove me to school.
"You don't look awful Danielle. You can never look awful" he had snapped when I didn't stop whining about my outfit.
His tone was harsh and it was obvious he wanted me to shut up, but I couldn't help but feel warmth in my chest because he had said I could never look awful.
I didn't know why what Eric thought of me mattered so much.

"Besides, you are with me now remember? so you are different now . The clothes and money don't matter anymore. You have better priorities"

His words boosted my confidence for a while until I got to school and had to face Caroline and Marcus.

I totally ignored Marcus and Caroline all day.
Marcus tried to speak to me several times, but I brushed him off every single time with some excuse that I had to go.
Caroline didn't even attempt to speak to me.
In fact she looked at me with spite every time our eyes met. She also tried to get Marcus attention away from me as much as possible.
It made me realize she was never truly my friend. All she wanted all this time was a way to get close to Marcus.

She was such a slut.

I wondered if they were dating now.
Well they suit each other perfectly, so congratulations to them if they are.

People stared at me oddly all day. I didn't blame them. They were not used to seeing me dressed like this.

Jennifer and her cheerleader friends even made fun of my outfit and totally embarrassed me in the lunchroom.
I felt horrible.
I was so angry, but then I remembered Eric's words and all I had gone through these past few weeks.
Her words shouldn't affect me.
I had learnt so much in just a few weeks and I realized Jennifer needed to learn a thing or two.
I faced Jennifer boldly.
"You know what Jennifer? I may not look my best today, but I feel my best. I feel great because I've finally realized that this obsession with looks and possessions only makes us miss out on the best things in life. True love, true friendship, having someone who would stand by you no matter what. This is more important than all these luxury we try to flaunt. But I guess you don't know what that means, do you?
I really feel sorry for you Jen. And I really hope you would be as lucky as I am. We both have parents who don't make time for us. We both have friends who are just with us because it's convenient. I'm glad cos I've finally realized what true friendship is. The sooner you open your eyes and save yourself from this fake life. The better for you"
I told her.
She was shocked and I could see how confused she was from the way she looked at me. I turned around and saw Caroline, Maggie and Marcus staring at me from were they sat together.
They also looked shocked.

I went back to my sit, which was with some girls you would have never caught me sitting with before.

Yes, I was different now. And I was proud of it.

I spoke to Maggie a few times in class. She was still my friend, and I held no grudges against her, even though she was till friends with Marcus and Caroline.

She felt uncomfortable being caught up in between this whole mess, but I didn't even care. If she wanted to keep such friends, then that's her choice.

Marcus eventually got so frustrated that he pulled me to a corner when school was over.

"Danielle I've apologized a million times. I've begged you to forgive me. What else do you want from me? Do I have to hang myself before you know how sorry I am?" He was blocking my way and I couldn't escape.
" Marcus its over Okay? Nothing, absolutely nothing is gonna change my mind" I spat, my face showing all the seriousness I felt.