14

Danielle

Friday came very fast.

I couldn't believe it. I was finally done with high school and I hoped I'd be getting into college pretty soon.
I spent Thursday night at my home because my dad insisted on driving me to school on Friday.
"I'm so proud of you Danielle. You have become a really admirable and intelligent woman. And now you are working so hard to get into college. I truly believe you are going to become really great in the future." He said to me after dinner Thursday evening.

I smiled 'Thanks Dad. Eric has been so wonderful. He believed in me even when no one else did. I have him to thank for what I've achieved so far"

My dad nodded agreeing with me. He smiled a half smile.
"I see you have grown really fond of him. Sharp contrast to how you felt about him before uhn?" I could sense his suggestive tone.

I looked at him with wide eyes and raised eyebrows.

I gulped some juice from my cup before I spoke.

"Of course he is not as bad as I thought. I should go to bed now Dad, so I can be up early for graduation tomorrow. Good night dad. Love you" I said quickly and literarily raced to my room.

I turned my head and scanned the audience behind me frantically as I sat on the front sits with the other graduands.

Where the hell was he?

He texted me the night before to congratulate me but now the graduation ceremony had started thirty minutes ago and he wasn't here.

May be he was here, I just couldn't see him in the crowd.

I texted him.

Where are you Eric?

No response.

I was freaking out. How could he miss this! What could be more important to him than this!

Calm down Danielle. He is probably here. You just don't see him.

Well I hope for his own good he is here, or else...,

After the ceremony, I got so many hugs from friends as I walked out of the large hall, but I was too distracted to remember who I was hugging. I knew they were mainly new friends I had made within the past few weeks.

Friends which also included the tiny girl I had defended against Jenifer.

Her name was Matilda, and she was such a sweet person.

I regretted my attitude towards her before and I decided to walk up to her one day and apologize to her.

She accepted before I could even complete the apology.

We'd been friends ever since.

The hugs did nothing to lighten my mood.

I was in a terrible mood.
My best friend was not at my graduation!

My best friend who I was hopelessly in love with was not at my graduation.

My father walked up to me once he sighted me and gave me a big hug.

"Congratulations sweetie. I'm so proud of you"'he said still embracing me.

"Thanks Dad. It feels so good to hear you say that" I muttered.

He pulled away slightly and looked at me.

"I have always been proud of you Cher. You may be a bit difficult sometimes, but your good heart always prevails. I'm so sorry I made you doubt it these past weeks. Forgive me?"