A glass of wine

Jac and Fletch walked out of the hospital in a daze. Neither spoke on the short drive to Jac's house. Their silly bickering and arguing forgotten.
"You sure you want me to stay?" Fletch checked as Jac opened the front door.
"I'm sure. I can't be alone tonight. No funny business though Fletcher" they both smiled at that. The first smiles to cross their faces since finding Sacha.
"I've got wine in the fridge" said Jac raising her eyebrow questioning whether Fletch wanted any. He nodded.
She was struck by how few words she and Fletch now needed to communicate, they knew each other so well.
They settled down on the sofa and opened the wine.
"Essie told me that Sacha had been depressed a few months ago but I thought it had been treated" Fletch said accepting the glass of wine that Jac had poured for him
"Depression's not as easy as just taking a few tablets you know"
"I know"
"He's had so many knocks over the years Fletch it's a wonder he hasn't broken before now"
"You've known him forever haven't you"
Jac gave a small laugh "feels like that"
"You're unlikely best friends" Fletch observed
"So unlikely that he couldn't speak to me"
Jac was aware of tears rolling down her face . Jac Naylor doesn't cry. Jac Naylor doesn't cry in front of people. Jac Naylor doesn't care that she's crying in front of Fletch and doesn't care that he is wrapping his arms around her. Everything feels better when Fletch holds her. She thought of the handful of times he'd comforted her over the past year or so. With him she didn't care if her make up ran or she got snot on his shirt. 
Fletch softly stroked her back soothingly.
He knew Sacha, of course he knew Sacha. Everybody knew Sacha. They'd become closer whilst Jac was away but he didn't know him as well as Jac. They'd been friends since they were registrars and Jac didn't really do friends or close relationships. He wondered if  he fitted into the category of friend. He hoped so.
Jac pulled away "Sorry, it's just I can't believe he's done this. I'm so bloody cross with him. I mean what would have happened if we'd been held up, if we hadn't found him in time"
"Hey" Fletch said placing his hands on her shoulders "stop. We did find him. He'll be Ok"
"You don't know that Fletch"
"Well I'm not letting myself consider the alternative"
Jac looked up at him. His eyes were incredible she mused. Catching herself she reached for her glass breaking the moment.
This wine is obviously stronger than I thought, she said to herself, unable to shake off the feeling she'd just had staring into his eyes.