10 - Home

I clung to Forth the rest of the week and when the time came to go home, I was the saddest I've ever been at the thought of leaving campus, my freedom. It didn't matter that it would only be for two weeks. Having to stay at that place for even a few seconds makes me unhappy, especially now.

"Don't look so sad. You can come over to my house whenever you want. I talked about you to my parents and they would love to meet you." Forth had said the night before we had to part. "Or I can come over if you want me to." The only response I'd given was a shake of my head and a demanding kiss on his lips.

I stood in front of the door of my father's house with my backpack slung over my shoulder. I let myself in as quietly as possible, but the house keeper was waiting to take my bag to my room. Since father's car is parked in the garage, he must be somewhere in the house. I made my way to his study. This door that I've walked through several times, for some reason it looked more intimidating than usual. I rapt on the door and stood back, waiting.

"Come in." I took a deep breath before walking into the study. The wall behind father's chair was lined with pictures of men in military uniforms. Generations from father's family line have always been powerful military men. My uncles are all in the military, but father dropped out of military school because he was much more fit to be a businessman and now he has a chain of restaurants and hotels to prove it. Even so, he still raised me like he himself had been raised, strictly.

He placed the sheet he'd been perusing down and looked up at me. I stopped in front of his desk and stood at attention before speaking. "I'm back."

"I see that. How was school?"

"Fine, thank you." He nodded and picked his paper up again. I waited until he lifted his eyes to me again and said "Dismissed" before I left the study.

My bedroom looked clean and well kept, just as if I hadn't been away for four months. I sat on my bed in relief before pulling out my phone to check on Forth.

To Forth

I just got home. How about you?

From Forth

That long? Was there too much traffic on your way? I've been home for over an hour already.

To Forth

Not really, I just didn't want to come home too early. I miss you.

From Forth

I miss you more. Do you want me to come over on the weekend?

To Forth

No. I'll come see you. I love you.

From Forth

I love you.

The rest of my week at home was quiet and very lonely. I spoke to Forth over the phone at night everyday and we texted all day, well most of the day, since Forth had to work at his family's company. Today being Friday, I was in my bedroom, trying to think of an excuse I could give to father, so I could go see Forth and if possible spend the weekend with him.

"P'Beam..." My fifteen-year-old step brother walked into my room without knocking and jumped onto my bed. "P'Beam, let's play a video game together."

"I can't right now. I'm getting ready to go out. Let's play when I get back." I looked into my closet, wondering if I should take a change of clothes or if I should only take my wallet and phone. In the end I decided to go with just my phone and wallet because I didn't know if Forth's family will be okay with me spending the weekend at their house.

I'd successfully avoided being alone with father thus far and I was glad that I didn't have to ask him face to face if I could go see my friend from school. I called him over the phone instead and I left the house quickly when he gave his approval. I was really excited about seeing Forth and I couldn't keep a straight face during the drive there. I'd called him earlier to let him know I was coming over.