Chapter eighteen: swimming pools under desert skies

Should have stayed, were there signs I ignored?

They let my friends off a whole hour before I go. Camila and Maddie must have left already, because all I see are men and women clad in police uniforms, their eyes blank and hands clutching onto empty coffee cups.

I could use another drink, but I don't.

They told me to get someone to bail me out, but I couldn't very well text my family vacationing in Florida.

So my desperate last means was Cole. And I didn't know whether to chalk it up as fortunate or unlucky he replied, because I just wanted to get away from him. But I needed to talk to him.

I drum my fingers against the plastic chair, hating the scent of detergent and blood, angry drunks yelling and the flourescent lights glared angrily.

Then him.

Grey beanie, black jacket and a frustrated look on his face. I looked away as he sat down next to me.

I was worried. His words were sincere enough, but he sounded more annoyed than that.

I'm sorry.

Let's get you home.

It was almost like a replay of our very first conversation when we met, after my audition which I burst into tears.

For thinking I wasn't good enough. For worrying about how the rent was going to blow off the roof if I didn't get this. For the nasty girl behind me who smirked and shook her head.

But behind the building, as I fumbled with my dollar store-worthy purse, he found me.

And he saved me.

Just like he would keep doing so.

Every single time.

Can I help you, not to hurt anymore?

A/n: Hi! How are you today? ^_^

I just finished all my tests and I have a week of holidays before school again I'm so pysched to study for my finals lmao

Don't worry, I'll still be updating as usual, and when all of it blows over I will edit this story and wrap it up :)

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading ♡