Chapter nineteen: white wine in the blushing light

I have never heard a silence quite this loud

I sit in the front, next to him. And to imagine how it feels to be his girl, riding with him,the wind in my hair, his one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my skin.

But I'm not his girl, so I cross my legs and my hands find the seatbelt to clutch on. Because if I don't, these nails will dig into my skin and I will cry.

His silence speaks more than what he wants to say. It's horrible, this awkward pain which I want a boy but he doesn't want me.

It feels like months ago when we ate takeout in his house, listening to jokes and the tv blaring loudly.

Now I watch as the red light flashes but no one crosses because it's almost midnight. Peeking from my eyelashes, I count the small imperfections on his face. How his left eye is bigger than his right. His lips curled into a small frown. How I want to lean in, so desperately, for one kiss.

And he feels it too, shifting in his seat. Further from me.

"Cole."

The green light blinks to live and he presses on the pedal.

Everything is so perfectly wrong.

"Please."

He pauses to stare at me, his gaze slowly digging a glass shard into me. Pressing into my heart, letting it bleed, and I feel as if I cannot breath or look away from his intense eyes.

"What was that text about?"

"Nothing. It's stupid and I was drunk."

He clears his throat,"You still are." But I ignore it and the burning question leaves my mouth before I can stop.

"Why do you like her?"

The answer hurts even more.

"I don't like her, Lili. I love her."

No reason to stay is a good reason to go

A/n:
Hello everyone! How are you all today? ^_^
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter