.: Chapter Six - The Building :.

Jae stuck her index finger and forefinger together and gestured up towards the top of the fence. Sadly, we were going 'up and over'. They all told me that it basically meant that we were going to throw a rope over with something attached to the end, so that it could cling onto the fence - I forgot what it was called - and we were going to climb up the rope and gloriously jump down our deaths... Hey, it made it sound more dramatic; we were actually going to jump... and get ground shock. What a wonderful time we would have.

 Jae, being the leader and all, threw up the hardy rope with some sort of metal at the end that had a pointy shape. It landed and attached itself to the top of the fence in one of the diamond shaped holes made out of wire in the fence. Eryx pulled on the rope, clutched it tightly and walked up. How could he walk up vertically so effortlessly, just like he was walking normally on a horizontal surface?

I didn't have much time to ponder about it, coming to a conclusion that he probably had a whole heap of training, as it was almost my turn to go 'up and over'; Macy and Jae had also gone over, leaving Taz, Uncle Jex and myself on the other side.

"Go on, Aurie. You won't fall; I'll catch you if you do and so will the others on the other side of the fence," Uncle Jex ugred me encouragingly, just like he did when I was younger. He even called me by the pet name he had for me. I missed that version of him, the one that stayed at home and cared for me. I was older, now, but I still liked him that way more than the one who worked most of the day and came back late at night.

I can do this. I thought.

I lifted my arms and reached for the rope, grabbing onto it. Carefully, I placed one foot on the fence and the other followed shortly after. Still, I clenched the rope, like it was the only thing keeping me from dying - my lifeline. At a snail-like pace, I moved up the metal-wire fence. Surprisingly, I hadn't slipped from the perspiration that was forming on my shaky hands; in fact, my whole body was shaking - adrenaline.

Don't fall, now.

I was half way up and all I thought about was falling. I couldn't make it. My arms were in misery and if I went any further, I would have a higher chance of falling and killing my hands that already had rope burn.

"I can't go any further." I trembled.

"You can, Aura. I know you can. You've taken down bullies, stood up for people who were considered 'different' and you've defended yourself many times; compared to all of that, climbing up this fence is undubiously easier." Tazmin's voice rang through my head. I knew she was right; climbing a fence was easier than having the courage to stand up for people and myself.

The hushed, yet encouraging voices of the rest of the team drove me to continue climbing up the fence, which I did - I wasn't going to let them down. As soon as I got to the top of the wire structure, rather jerkingly, I looked down. BIG MISTAKE. Instantaneously, my shaking started to intensify and I clung onto the top of the fence for dear life.

"Jump, Aura; I'll catch you," Eryx whispered sharply, but urgently.

"I can't," I shot back.

"Yes, you can. Just close your eyes and think of something that makes you happy."

"O-okay."

I let go of the fence and I closed my eyes, fearful and thinking of a time when my parents were alive, even though the memory was so faint and distant. Before I knew it, I hit a wall of muscle - Eryx's arms. I jumped off and groaned, "Your arms are hard."

"They're full of muscles," he countered and smirked; even in the fading light, I could see it.

After he stopped joking around about how strong he was, Tazmin landed on our side of the fence and cursed. "Ow!"

I rushed over to help her up and Uncle Jex also landed, flinching a little. He seemed to be used to jumping down from high places as he stood up after 10 seconds.

Uncle Jex stayed close to the fence, making sure that our mission wasn't going to be interrupted. The rest of us split up into two teams: Macy with Jae, Taz, myself and Eryx in another. Jae and Macy went off in one direction and we went in another direction and crawled through a vent. Eryx was at the front holding a torch, I was in the middle and Taz was at the back. The noise seemed to magnify in the vent, so we tried to shuffle along even quieter than we had previously. Soon enough, we came to a halt, Eryx put a finger to his lips to signal that we should be quiet and turned off his torch. He also put up a hand, wanting us to stay where we were. Eryx opened the grill, gently placed it on the opposing side of the opening, lowered himself, and dropped onto the vinyl floor noiselessly. Then, his elbow flew to an agent's temple and he caught him as he slid down onto the floor.

Eryx looked up at us and gestured for us to jump, too. So I dived down and Eryx caught me, again, Taz did the same after me. Eryx moved the unconscious agent behind a wall with only part of the agent's arm and hand sticking out. Soundlessly, we followed him to the opposite wall and into a corridor and we waited while he looked out into the passageway that we were in.

Another agent appeared and walked down the passageway we were in and suddenly brandished his gun. He moved cautiously towards the wall the body of his colleague was slumping against, whilst Eryx started to creep up on him. The agent lifted his wrist up towards his mouth, ready to report his findings, but was stopped by Eryx as he pulled him into a headlock and covered the agent's mouth with another hand that held a cloth with chloroform, I assumed as that agent went down without a fight.

It was Cray. The agent that brandished his gun was Cray!

"We can't leave them here," I mumbled.

Wordlessly, Eryx moved both of the unconscious men to the corridor we were hiding in and left, obviously expecting us to follow him.

"Let us go," murmured Taz.

"Soon. You go first," I replied.

She seemed reluctant, but did what I asked. I placed a note in Cray's breast pocket on his jacket - the Cray from my time asked me to. Cray asking me to do something? That was a joke; we weren't friends, nowhere close. He practically ordered me to. Briskly, I jogged to catch up to Taz and Eryx, following them to a door, which we stopped in front of.

Eryx produced a card and swiped it, opening the door.

"Mum! Dad!" I shouted in excitement.

"Aura, what are you doing? They don't know you. They'll call security." Eryx hissed, trying to knock some sense into me, but it was too late. I couldn't resist the urge to call out to them.

"Aura?" My mum turned around and her eyes widened, shock filling them. "Honey, i-it's Aura."

"What?" Dad also turned around and tried to comprehend what was happening - he couldn't.

"Uh, hi." I grinned. "I'm from the future and you guys need to stop building The Blue Eye because you're all going to die if you don't. 'You know how much I've missed you both? I don't want you both to die, not to this killing machine. 'You know what this machine does in the future? It kills people and that's why I'm - we are - here." I said it just like that. I could've said it a bit better, not loading everything into the sentences, but I wasn't thinking straight. I was seeing my parents, again!

My dad's eyes narrowed in suspicion, questioning, and he simply challenged, "Prove it. Prove it and we'll believe you." My mum nodded her head in agreement.

"Okay, just show me where TBE is."

They told me to follow them and they took the three of us into the room where TBE was. It was blue - the whole room was blue. In the centre of it, there was a silver structure with a pad to scan your hand. Immediately, I strided over to it and placed my hand on it. It scanned my hand for a few minutes, then it made a short, high-pitched noise and read, 'Access Granted'.

They quizzed me more, still a little suspicious, but eventually believed me and shut down the machine.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Self-destruct sequence started," a mechanical voice tore through the room.

"Is that supposed to happen?" asked Taz.

"No. Something's wrong. We have to get out!" mum shouted.

We sprinted through various hallways and doorways, escaping just as the building blew up and deafened me.