C h a p t e r O n e

S u n d a y 1 s t S e p t e m b e r
_____________

"Goal!"

Smiling a tight smile that didn't reach above my top lip, I jogged back to my team as the tattered football rolled out from the back of the net. Three-one! Yes! Increasing our lead!

I returned to my position as our centre-forward awaited the whistle; then passed a short, direct pass to me. Immediately, an attacker sprung in front of me. I twisted round and did a swift turn past them, followed by a rainbow flick over another oncoming attack. I attempted a one-two pass to the other midfielder, but the pass back was intercepted so I turned back. Quite quickly I managed to catch up and nab it, whereupon it was stolen again and I tripped, dropping to one knee and arching my other leg to nudge the ball away again, which a defender picked up. I got to my feet and the ball was passed to me; I subsequently controlled, and then booted it as far up the pitch as I could manage.

Just then, the final whistle blew, signalling the end of the game.

*****

"Hiya!" I greeted my mum with a hug before we got in the car.

"Good practice?" She started the engine, which roared to life.

"Yup," I replied, popping the 'p' and trying to sound cheerful, but she clearly saw through the act.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Her sea green eyes met my sapphire ones, full of concern.

"N-nothing," I stammered, quickly looking away. Then I kicked myself for giving it away. "Let's go open the shop."

"Sweetie, you know I can tell when you're lying, and you know you can tell me everything." She reached out and gently placed her soft hand on my tanned arm; the gesture wasn't at all surprising to me, but the reassurance was nice anyway.

"I-it's nothing, really." I forced myself to look back up at her; her face was made up with an expression that clearly read: I don't believe a word of it. I sighed. "Fine, you got me." I took a deep breath. How do I word this to my mother? Hey, I don't mean to make you feel bad for me, but I'm dreading going back tomorrow because my class is made up of a bunch of sluts, pricks and general dickheads who expect me to bow down to them and do their work regardless of if I'm even in their class, or else they'll bully me and make sure I feel like shit all day, yet still respect them. And piss me off either way. Yeeeaaah... No.

"I...er...really am not enthusiastic about seeing my...classmates again. Because...well...they love to...antagonise me at every possible chance."

"I'm sorry they annoy you, but you have to face them sooner or later."

"I know," I groaned.

"Can you ignore them?"

"I've tried!" I threw my hands to my head in despair. "I've tried everything," I whispered. There was an awkward moment of silence.

Then mum piped up, sitting up vertically with her hands on the wheel. "Lettice, we'll go home, get dressed, then go shopping!"

*****

As I walked through the door, I went straight to my room, since I'd already taken a shower at the club (after all, after two hours of sports in the hot weather, I had been sweating profusely). Then I picked out an outfit.