C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

M o n d a y 1 4 t h O c t o b e r
________

I plopped down into the window seat next to Harley, my bag swinging onto the seat next to the isle. "Heya," he smiled. "Good day?"

"Yeah-" I began, but then Rachel appeared at the top of the stairs, so I gave a quick, dry smile back and put in my earphones. I don't mind too much-really, I don't-I just wish it wasn't so awkward for Harley. And-seriously-I understand he means well, but I can't stand chatting around Rachel. Or anyone else for that matter.

Well, almost anyone now.

Seconds after turning to stare out through the respectably clear, yet steamed up window (most school bus windows are usually slightly murky, from things pupils have thrown across the bus, particularly,) I fell deep into the world of music. 'Heroes' by Måns Zelmerlöw blared through the earphones. Although I stayed completely still in my seat, in my head I was doing a full out performance: singing the lyrics into a microphone, dancing along with the same moves that I'd made up for the song long ago; it was my escape from reality. I guess music became this huge part of my life in year seven-the start of secondary. Before then, I had enough friends to never be bored or not busy; there was always something to do. Besides, I didn't get a phone until my birthday right before secondary started anyway, so if I'd wanted to listen to music, it would've been either on the radio (which I hate because of all the talking and general filler) or use a CD player (which I don't like since it's not logical for long-term use because you have to keep swapping the disks, and they only have so many songs.)

🎶To go sing it like a humming bird, the greatest anthem ever heard. We are the heroes of our time. But we're dancing with the demons in our minds. 🎶

The bus swerved across the road past the school gates of the worse secondary school around these parts and pulled up next to the pavement, where a queue of teenagers were pushing and shoving trying to get past the impenetrable wall of teachers and other staff members who were desperately attempting to keep the difficult children at bay.

After the bus stopped, a rush of air being released as the vehicle dipped down slightly, students in their uniforms that were personalised in ways that are not allowed at my school began coming up the stairs; beginning with a friend from primary, Lillie. Our eyes met and I smiled, as a sign to come over and moved my bags onto the floor. Knowing she stays on for a few stops longer than me, I shuffled over to the isle seat and contorted my body so that she could get in. "Hi," I said, taking one earphone out.

"Hi," she grinned. "Long time, no see."

"Yeah," I agreed, "it's been like, forever! How's school?"

"Yeah, not bad, as far as school gets!" she laughed, and I laughed with her. Then she continued talking about school and her friendship group, bitching about her teachers and other stuff but I kind of drifted out of the conversation in all honesty. It wasn't that I was bored of her or anything; it was that the girl sat in front of me was being a huge distraction: yelling across the bus to get her friends wish her a happy birthday for yesterday, which they yelled back. It was the loud girl from the other day, of course.

"Wish me a fucking happy birthday bicthes!" she yelled and they obediently yelled 'fucking happy birthday' back. She laughed, and-gotta be honest-it was the most ear-rape-y thing ever. It honestly sounded like a cat being strangled.

No joke.

As the engine started up and we rolled out of the school grounds, the girl got up and stalked over to the front of the bus. "You!" she barked, pointing at a year eight girl from my school. "Wish me a happy birthday." The girl, shy and taken aback recited what she was ordered to (much to the bully's glee,) before they moved up the bus and began demanding everyone to. She worked her way up the bus, the majority doing ad they were told, then sat down.