C h a p t e r E l e v e n

S a t u r d a y 1 4 t h S e p t e m b e r
________

Despite the miserable weather today, I was grinning from ear to ear this morning when I woke up. After speeding through my morning routine, I went to the kitchen and started the task of chopping strawberries for later, since we use so many throughout the day. Mum came over and gave me a hug. "Who are you and what've you done to my daughter?" she chuckled, unused to me looking like I did now.

"What do you mean?" I played along.

"Why are you so happy today?" she answered, before hastily adding, "not that I'm complaining! It's just... You haven't smiled this much since you were at primary!" I grinned, scraping the strawberries off of the chopping board and into a bowl.

"I found a way to actually...enjoy myself at school!" I beamed.

"No way! Really? After four years?"

I nodded a yep. "Yesterday I actually went and played football-they were surprisingly nice to me, and none of the girls go there, so that's a bonus-" I was interrupted by my mum gripping her arms tightly around me in a hug, making it hard for me to breathe. "Mum! I-I have a kn-knife in my h-hand," I wheezed, and she released me.

"Sorry not sorry," she giggled.

*****

Later I was down in the shop, resetting a table after a family just left after having lunch; some paninis and milkshakes. I quickly wiped down the circular surface with a cloth and then grabbed a couple of cups and plates and laid them out before noticing one of the parents from primary trying to catch my attention.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" I asked, looking at the woman who looked to be in about her thirties.

"I know you!" the dark haired girl who must be in year four or five now piped up. "Did you go to my school?"

"Yes I did, five years ago," I replied, adding a gentle smile.

"Which school do you go to?" she interrogated, her innocent, large eyes staring up at me.

"Jessi Grove Secondary."

"Oh, do you like it?"

"Betsy!" her father exclaimed, in an attempt to stop her.

"What?" she pouted, folding her arms.

"Don't worry," I laughed lightly then turned back to the girl. "It's a really good school. Really. And... I think I'm going to enjoy it even more from now on..."

"Why?" Then the bell rang.

"Okay, that's enough questions Betsy, the nice girl has to serve others too," her mother put her hand on her shoulder, then turned to me. "Please can I get the goats cheese and spinach pastry, Betsy get the tomato, mozzarella and basil panini and, you, dear?" she asked her husband.

"The cheese and chutney chibatta with the salad please."

I nodded and wrote it down on my notepad. "Yep, I'll get it as soon as possible." I quickly turned and went over to the door to see who had come in only to see Harley, completely soaked to the skin, standing in the entrance bit where the coat hangers and umbrella stand is. Mum just got out of the manicure room, the pre-paid customer glowing with happiness, so I gave her the notepad and left her to deal with the other customers as I opened walked over, under the archway-like bit to Harley, who was struggling with his dripping said-to-be-but-clearly-isn't 'waterproof' coat.