2

"Let's go Smarty!" Pony yells down the hallway. Johnny, Dally, him and I were going to the Nightly Double. Pony and I were allowed to go only because it was Friday. Darry really only lets us go places on the weekends.

"I'm almost finished, lay off!" I holler. I'm finishing my hair. I had to make it look just right. I'm not sure why, but I always loved doing my hair. Mom always told me I had beautiful hair, and Dad always told me to wear it down, he didn't like my hair to be up all the time. He liked my long, dark gold hair, straight and silky, all natural. Just like my mother's.

"We don't have all day!" He screams.

"It's only six thirty!" I shout back, checking the clock mounted on the wall. I looked at myself in the mirror one more time, smiled, and walked to the living room.

"What's the big rush for?" I ask them. "Doesn't the movie start at eight?"

"Yeah but we wanted to walk around town." Johnny tells me.

"And check out babes." Dally adds. He smiles mischievously.

"Right." I say. "Let's go."

———

After two hours of roaming around town, it was dark enough for us to sneak into the theater.

Once we got to the part of the fence with a hole on the bottom, I was the first one to pull myself through to the other side. We've snuck in a million times, I was a pro.

When I was over, I felt somebody's eyes on me. I shook it off, and helped the other boys get through.

When we were all ready to go, I looked to the stands for people who didn't come in cars. There was a boy, standing on the edge, looking at me. It was weird, very weird.

We sat down towards the front of the bleachers. My seat was the second from the aisle, the aisle was obviously occupied by Dally. He would probably get up a whole bunch of times during the movie. I had sat on the end one time with him, and all he did was brush past me. I was very annoyed, it was one movie I really wanted to see, so now anytime we're together I make him it on the aisle.

We could've settled virtually anywhere. I knew that there wouldn't be many people here tonight. Not too many people want to sit out in the cold to watch some corny movie. I'm not sure why the establishment is even open in the winter, they can't have much business. But, I don't run the Nightly Double. I mean, maybe couples come here and cuddle in the cars together, trying to keep each other warm. I can only imagine what happens next.

I could tell Dally was sad that there were no girls to bother like the last time I was here with them. He actually had to watch the movie, which he probably wouldn't do. He will most likely split on us in the middle. I kind of understand. Going to see movies isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I'll go to hang out with my buddies sometimes. And if it's boring, I don't want to stay. There's something better I can do.

What's weird, I noticed while I viewed the stands, is that there is only one other person. I know it's winter, but I assumed there would be some other greasers or some of Tim Shepard's gang; to hunt some action like Dally.

The boy was behind us, almost at the top row. I felt his eyes on me back again. I lean over to Johnny. "Johnny?"

"Yeah?"

"Is that guy staring at us?"

He looked back, so I pulled his arm, "Don't look now ya idiot." I joke. "Wait a few seconds, then look."

"Okay." He whispers back. I went back to the normal sitting position, pretending to watch the movie.

Johnny looks back at the kid, and then tells me, "I think he's lookin' at you Smarty."