12

"The volcano!" Somebody yelled in the distance. I was in a strange place, unfamiliar dirt and grass surrounded me. I look straight ahead. I saw a massive volcano, and it was about to erupt.

I hear screams from all around me as the thing spewed lava into the air. It was falling quickly, landing in large clumps. Some of the red hot goop landed on a person to my left, burning them. I shook out horrific sight out of my head, I can't focus on that. I gotta get myself outta here.

I start to run, shaking. I could barely see through the lava forming and thick black cloud filling the atmosphere. What am I supposed to do? I just keep running, farther and farther away from the mountian. I couldn't move fast enough though.

Suddenly, the path to the volcano was clear. No more black smoke. Then, I saw a glob coming towards me.

The glob now has a video on it, like a movie screen. It was my parents, in an old tape we have. They were smiling and kissing each other. I then came into the picture, and I sat on Dad's lap as Mom kissed me. I watch as it slowly falls towards my body. I was paralyzed, watching my old memories and something coming to burn me. 

I scream and when it falls ...

———

I shoot up in my bed and stop screaming, a routine I've been doing. My breath started to calm when both Darry and Soda come into my room.

"Smarty," Darry says softly, "are you okay?"

"No," I say, using all my strength to hold back tears. "I'm not okay. I'm tired and I can't sleep. What am I supposed to do?"

Soda sits on my left side as Darry moves to my right. Soda hugs me tight and Darry puts his hand on the small of my back, rubbing slightly. I felt a tear slip after letting my guard down. I don't know why it's always up, but subconsciously, it is.

"I'm calling the doctor." Dally tells me. "There's gotta be something they can do."

"Oh, just like they did Pony?" Soda asks annoyed. He obviously doesn't like his kid sister and brother troubled by nightmares.

"I'll make you an appointment for Friday." Darry says firmly.

———

Darry and I sit with Doctor William in his office. I've been describing things to a different doctor for an hour: what my nights are like, what dreams I have, forgetting things, tiredness, that type of stuff. We talked about Mom and Dad too. I just joined my brother and Doctor Williams a few minutes ago.

"So after the tests we have run and what you have told Doctor Conors, we think you might have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and some mild anxiety." Doctor William's explains finally.

"What is that?" Darry asks. I already know Darry is going to ask many questions.

Doctor William's takes out a file, but doesn't open it. "It is disorder that includes extreme fatigue and trouble sleeping. It can really occur at any age. There is no cure, but there are things you can be taking that can help you sleep and and to help the anxiety. There was a new drug that was just patented that may be able to help you. It's called Klonopin, and we are looking for people to test it. We can offer you $500, but Kathleen would need a parental or guardian signature." The Doctor gives Darry the file. "I'll let you decide on what you like to do. I'll come back when you have made your decision."

He closes the door quietly behind him. Darry turns towards me. "What do you think Smarty?"

"I don't know." I say. I'm kind of shocked, overwhelmed. He said a lot at once.

"I know your overwhelmed," Darry says and slightly smiles, "but I'm going to do what you want. Whatever you want."

Darry was being awful sweet and kind of quiet. It's very rare. "I need you to make the decision for me Darry. I don't know about any of this stuff. You're my guardian, you know what's best for me." I say quietly.

"I think we should try it. See what happens."

"Okay." I say. I don't really feel like talking.

He kisses my forehead. "I'm sorry this is happening to you Smarty. But, we can work on it, and this might help you."

Doctor Williams comes back in and sits in his chair. "So, have we come to a decision?"

"Yes," Darry says, "we've decided to go through with the Klonopin."

"Great..." Doctor Williams explains more stuff about the trial, but I wasn't listening. This is big, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? It's sounds so serious. It really shakes me.

———

It's been a few days since I've been taken the blue pills, once everyday. I'm supposed to keep a detailed journal about what I'm feeling. It's really annoying.

I've been having pretty bad headaches lately. Like, I'm taking headache reliever everyday, multiple times a day. It helps to dumb it down, but it's always there. When I get up sometimes, I get dizzy. I've been weaker, sometimes I can't even carry something like milk. And, sometimes my vision is blurred. I think I see things too, but I don't.

It helped with my nightmares the first night I took it. I was so excited, I thought it was going to be a permanent fix. It didn't last though, the next night they came back. They're not as bad, I don't wake up screaming anymore. So, it's better I guess.

I think I'm just going crazy.

I haven't been at school for the past three days. If I don't go back to sleeping soon, I'm going to have to take seventh grade again.

I was at home, alone. I've been with Two-Bit most of the time, the other boys can't take off school or work. But, Two-Bit couldn't come today. So, I just had to be bored at home.

Having already cleaned, did laundry, and drew the bushes outside, I went to get some cake. I had to be careful with it though, I didn't want to clean it up if I dropped it. I cut myself a slice, and put the cake carefully back in the fridge.

I walk back through to the front of the house, looking out the window. The living room shades were open, letting in rays of sunlight that danced on the walls. It looked as if there was somebody waiting on the porch. The black hair looked like it could only belong to Miguel.

"Miguel..." I thought out loud. I haven't seen him in almost a week. I missed his handsome self.

I pretty much bolted out the front door to him. The smile on my face fell when there was nobody there. I could have sworn that he was there. Maybe it was something else, but there was nothing there that was as dark as Miguel's hair. I go back in the house, bummed.

I swear I am just going crazy.