6

I had to sneak out again for a date with Miguel. I hate doing it so much. Everyone was out tonight, which made it so much easier. Pony and Johnny were going to the lot, Dally had to sleep off a hangover from last night, Soda and Steve were working, and Darry was stuck at the bank all day. I usually go with Darry, to keep him company (the bank is very boring) but I thought it would be a little weird, considering our situation these past few days.

Just as I finished getting ready, somebody yelled "Hey!" in the door.

Two was the only one I hadn't accounted for, of course. I walked out to greet him. "Hey Two-Bit."

"Hey Smarty," he looks me up and down, "where are you going?"

"I'm about to go over a friends house." Everyone in the gang pretty much knew I wasn't supposed to be with Miguel. Word spreads quickly between the eight of us.

"Is anybody else home?"

"No. Soda and Steve are at work, Darry's at the bank, and Pony and Johnny were going to the lot." I explain. He nods.

"It's already dark, you can't walk by yourself." He says.

"I'll be fine Two."

"No, I'll take you." He says. "I've got my switchblade to protect us." He pulls out is infamous black-handled switchblade.

"Fine." I give in. I grab my coat and start on my way to Miguel's with Two-Bit.

Our walk was quiet. We had some small talk, and I had to make up some stuff about this "friend" I was visiting. I just feel dirty, with all the sneaking around and lying I do. I'm gonna have to go to church soon.

"So what are you going to do Two?" I ask him when we finished our short walk to Miguel's house. Or at least I hope it's his, this is my first time being here.

"I wanted to hang out with somebody, but everyone's workin'. Maybe I'll go to visit Soda and Steve. I might just get drunk at a bar somewhere. I don't know." He explains.

"Okay well have fun then." I've reasoned with him many times not to get drunk and pass out somewhere, but he doesn't listen. I really care about him; who wouldn't? I don't want him to get hurt. I've stopped trying to help him, he just ignores me.

"Bye Smarty!" He calls and starts back the way we came.

I walk up onto the porch and knock on the front door. It wasn't as cold as it's been the past few days, it was towards the sixties when I left.

Miguel stands in the open doorway, "Hi, come in." He says. His smile is huge, I figure there must be a surprise.

He takes my jacket and hangs it up on a coat rack by the door. The living room was very cozy, with dark furniture and a TV in the corner. It was kind of dirty, but no dirtier than my house. Plus he's a greaser, and I've been to grosser houses, so I don't mind.

There was a guy sitting on the couch, reading an instruction manual. "Oh Smarty, this is my brother Marco."

Marco was stocky, with broad shoulders. He got up from the couch and moved towards us. When he came closer, I saw he had the same eyes as Miguel, but they lacked the same sensitivity. They were cold, kind of looking like black ice. He was shorter than Miguel, but was way more muscular. His eyes brows were like thick logs, and his nose almost looked droopy, but still pointed on the end. His face was more rounded than Miguel's, but you could still see the resemblance between the brothers. He was attractive, but different than the way my boyfriend is. His attractiveness came from his confidence and manliness, it  reminds me of Dally. He doesn't make any noise, or even acknowledge me. He just walks down a hallway and goes in a room.