Ambulance

Casey

"Joy! Your friend is here!"

The first thing that runs through my mind is "Alexis?" My first hope, anyway, but I knew better.

"What friend? I don't have any friends-" I try to joke nervously, and immediately shut up when Kara appears there in front of me.

Fuck. 

Kassie has frozen in place, like me. We were literally just talking about this, her thoughts radiate into my mind.

I guess... We said her name too many times? I still try joking, but it's killing me, her aura. The fact that she's here.

Why? Why would you come back? Why would you open the wound again? I was almost over it...

______________________________________________________

Why is it that memory? 

Every moment with her is burned into my mind; whenever I recall any of them it comes instantly, and every damn detail is perfect, not one thing is gone. It's a curse.

I'm staring up at the way-too-fucking-bright lights on the ceiling of the ambulance, wondering why, out of all the memories I have of her, the last one is playing through my mind, over and over.

Words from the doctors are also echoing through my mind.

Mild seizure? No... Family history of epilepsy... Not dehydrated...

I close my eyes. Fuck.

______________________________________________________________

"Are you okay?" Kassie asks as soon as she's gone.

I just stand there, too hurt to move, too strangled to speak. 

"No." I manage. Kass just gives me a sympathetic look and repeats her earlier statement.

We were just talking about her...

_________________________________________________________________________

Luna

As soon as they deny me access to the damn truck, I'm in my german shepherd form, racing along the sidewalks, barking loudly at people to make them get the hell out of the way. I can't keep up with the ambulance, and Shad's been left far behind, as he refused to shift, but we both knew where the hospital was, so I didn't slow down.

It had come out of nowhere, whatever "It" was. She'd been fine, and then... trouble breathing, muscle stiffness, and finally losing concsiousness. I'd never seen anything like this happen to her before, but Kassie, who'd also been with us, had acted like it was normal.

Like it happened often.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, Casey. What are you not telling me?

__________________________________________________________________-

A mild seizure. I didn't even know that was a thing.

"That's why they don't want you driving." I murmur later, as we walk out of the hospital.

She glares at the ground. "I'm fine."

"Something's wrong, isn't it?"

She just shakes her head, refusing to meet my eyes.

I stop myself from asking.

Why didn't I know about this before?