Sleep

Casey

I woke up at the sound of my door squeaking open. I was still in my alter form. I narrowed my eyes.

"I read your post." 

I kept glaring at her.

Kris came over to me with a rag. "I'm not here to scold you for cutting. But you at least have to take care of them now."

I growled as icy cold water collided with the gashes in my skin.

"I'm sorry." She paused a moment. "Maybe hot water would feel better." She stood up.

"I'll be right back. Don't do anything stupid in the five seconds I'm gone."

I was contemplating why I would do something stupid again when she came back, as she promised, with hot water this time.

I didn't speak, but soon discovered I didn't need to. She reminded me of our psych teacher, Ms. Dorgan.

"Why did your form settle like this?"

I was so shocked by the question that I couldn't help a Huh? Slipping out.

"Well you look like a german shepherd with white patches. But your eyes have the faintest forest green flecks in them. Normal humans probably can't see them, but they're there. And dogs don't have green eyes."

I thought for a moment, then said tentatively,

Very little of my background is Native America. Most of it is German. So...

"Wolf and german shepherd." She said.

Nothing gets past you, I thought, but didn't let her hear it.

Instead I said, Why are you doing this? We're not even friends.

"Says you." She answered.

She reached to pet me, and I jerked my head up and focused my eyes on hers so fast that I almost made myself dizzy, but it got the message across. She froze, then averted her eyes and put her hand down.

"Well, those should heal by the end of the night, according to your wolf-healing stuff. Anyway, I should go." 

And she left.

I lay curled up on the bed, listening to the kids yell and shriek. My parents went out, leaving us all here. Only reason all of this could happen in the first place; I couldn't help feeling slightly pissed at them.

I tried to let myself drift off. But it seemed like sleep wasn't going to favor me tonight.