Life Happens In Spurts

That title sounded better in my head. -L

Luna

"I'm fine now, mother hen." Casey teases. "It usually doesn't happen often."

"You don't feel bad anymore?" I ask, in doubt.

"Other than the fading pain, no. At least I don't feel sick anymore."

"Hm." I say.

"Promise," she says, cuddling against me, her lips yet again on my neck. Her head tilts.

"What's this?"

What looks like a scar in the shape of half a rune is on my left shoulder.

"I'll show you," I say, dragging a huge, old book out from behind my desk.

I flip to one of the pages and read aloud, "All recorded shapeshifters have two periods of aging, the first being puberty, when they shift for the first time, usually around age eleven or twelve. The second is known as the Twice Aging, and occurs anywhere from age sixteen to age twenty-five. At this time, the individual's alter form will settle into its one true form, while still retaining the ability to shift into the forms of those they are connected with spiritually. Most of the time, the Twice Aging is accompanied by a rune marking, which fades once the alter form settles."

I look up at her. 

"Wow. That's... amazing. Staron really knew his supernaturals..." She says, mentioning the author of the gigantic, old book.

"Your form's settling, too." I say, reaching forward to brush my fingers along a small group of markings on her shoulder, not yet looking like a developing rune, but still there and obnoxiously obvious as to what it was.

"Strange." She says.

I smile. "Yes, yes we are."