Ch-9

"Everett called near one in the morning, and we talked for a while. Maize kept him busy earlier, and he apologized.

"Summer, sorry I'm calling so late. Shit to do and places to go. Been waiting long?"

"No worries.  I had something to take care of on this end. So, what's going on with Rucker?"

"I know you're upset and in a tailspin with Rucker, but he's legit. The night of his party, he didn't mean to leave you flat, but Dario came over unexpectedly, and Rucker took off."

"All I'm hearing is that Rucker left because Dario came over to his parent's house? That's not helping me at all." I flopped back on my bed, then sat straight back up again. "Is there something specific I should know about, Everett? Is Rucker with someone else? Is that it? He did dump me, didn't he?"

"No, no... nothing even close to that, what the hell Summer?" His voice fell in and out. 

"What are you trying to tell me?" I asked, tucking strands of hair behind my ear.

"Well, if you'd let me talk and explain more before coming to conclusions than you would know girl... 

I cut him off mid-rant. "Kay, kay...jus' spill. I want to know everything. I won't interrupt I promise." Fingers crossed. Glad he couldn't see my fingers.

"Okay, this is what you should know...like I said, he left the party quickly when Dario arrived, or he'd probably have it out with Dario. Rucker is a trained fighter, and he might hurt his brother to the point of killing him. You hear me?"

"What? But, why...?" I asked alarmed.

"Rucker needs to give you deets." He sighed out, and my heart sank.

"I still don't get it. Rucker hasn't even tried to reach out to me through Cami.  I mean, why didn't you tell me what happened that night? I was left flat. I just want to understand." I let out a breath and looked up at the moon, wondering where Rucker was, and what he was doing.

Just then my phone alerted me to another call. When I pulled the phone back to see who it was my tummy felt like butterflies, it was Rucker. The one person I wanted to hear from the most was finally calling me.

 "Sorry, Everett I need to hang, Rucker's calling.  We'll talk later." I blurted out ending his call just as Rucker said my name. His voice was super low compared to the quiet night. My throat felt tight because the thought of talking to him made me tense up. He could do this to me from just saying my name. I was so overwhelmed to know he was on the other end of the call waiting for me to say something.

"Hey, you..." I managed to squeeze out. I could hear Rucker breathing, and it comforted me.

"Are you okay?" he asked. 

"I wasn't earlier, but I'm feeling better now that you called. Are you good?"

"That depends...did I fuck up?" he said, sounding resigned. I heard something like glass shatter in the background.

"I heard that!" I promptly said. What gives?"

He sighed, "I was letting out some frustration. I trashed my mom's old vase," he chuckled.

I stayed silent, hoping he would continue.

"I fucked up. I know I did. I called to apologize to you and explain myself. I understand if you don't want to see me, but can I come over? I want to do this in person. Fuck. I don't want to screw this up."

"Rucker," I whispered, hoping I kept the anxiety out of my voice. I thought you didn't want anything to do with -"

"Never. I'm coming over now. Text me your address. I'm on my way out."