Chapter 23

Sometimes promises are meant to be broken.

Life changes. People grow up and move on. But for me, I never had a choice. It never was supposed to turn out like this.

There once was a time when we had dreams like most young couples — visions of a bright and prosperous life filled with family, friends, and love. A life spent growing old together and watching our children grow - up and having children of their own. But now it will never come to pass those sweet dreams.

No one ever really thinks that they'll break a promise made. Notably, one made to your other half, but promises are sometimes made to be broken. And unfortunately, we both are recipients of broken promises and love lost because of a crash that almost killed the most important person in my life. Rucker Laclan. He will always be the miracle that makes my life complete. The most important person in my life. The sweetest love of my life.

So, I go on making plans for a life without the love of my life. You see I once told him that I would always love him and that he would be my first and last. "Promise?" he asked me. I can still remember the urgency in his voice and the relief when I answered, "Promise. My truths." And that's just it. I made a promise to him, and those words were my truth then and now. I will always love him, and he will remain my first and last. But, our lives have changed, and we're no longer Rucker and Summer.

But I can't stay here, as he continues his life with her by his side. I guess you could say that by me leaving will set free the ghost that ties me to him. My life is in limbo to see if he'll remember me. I'm put on hold while watching them continue their growth.

I want only the best for him. So I need to let him go so he can fly, grow, and love like he was born too.

Selfless love.

If I would never be with him again, I would've preferred never to have felt this pain.

"Do you have the contract ready? You know that's the only way I'll touch a dime of your money." I grumbled looking on his desk for telltale signs of the contract."

I didn't need to think about his offer for very long. I knew if I did I'd talk myself out of doing it. It was a very generous offer. The proposal included a house that I wanted, an office, car, and start-up cash for my business. In return, I would help to oversee the new nightclub he was opening. I would be in charge of the VIP lounge and clientele. Every decision would come from me. All free time away from the club would be spent getting my own business ready to open.

I'm set on the business I want to open. Though I have absolutely no experience in this field of business, I can hire the right people to make sure it runs smoothly.

"So tell me you have everything ready for me to sign, or else, I'm leaving and not looking back?" I folded my arms over my chest, sighing.

"Summer," he groaned. "The contracts here. Are you sure this is what you want? You know I'd rather help you out without a contract," he flipped his pen on his desk and relaxed back in his seat studying my face.

" Marco!" I scoffed. "I'm not repeating myself again. We've been over everything a thousand times." Florida is where I'm moving. A place far away from where I can't hop into my car and go across town and see Rucker every day. I need to live my life again.

"Alright then. Take a seat. The contract states that you will work for me as the VIP Mgr in Charge at the new Florida Club until the agreed upon amount is paid in full. You will report to my club here in Seattle in 48 hrs for training. You will need to report for your new position in Florida in ten days. All your travel arrangements, titles, and keys to your new home and car are here in this envelope. I'll give you club keys and passcodes for the new club on your last day of training here. The money will be deposited into the account you requested within an hour of signing the contract." A smile played on his lips. "Questions?" He asked, a gleam in his eyes.