Ch-11

"Summer," my mom's morning voice called down the hallway.

"Yes, mom?" I poked my head out of my room. I was still getting ready for school.

"You got something delivered here for you," she gave me a knowing look, as she started humming while checking her to do list on the computerized door of the refrigerator.

"I'll be right there." I did my makeup and braided my hair into a loose side braid. I decided to dress in a pair of skinny jeans, a wife beater, and Doc Martin boots. I grabbed my things and headed for the kitchen. My mom looked up from what she was reading when I entered the kitchen and came around the table, embracing me.

"Happy birthday, my daughter, dad and I are so proud of you," she looked over at the box on the table. "That came for you."

"Do you know who sent it, mom?"

"No, but I can guess?" she playfully quipped as she poured pancake batter onto the griddle. I always loved banana pancakes, and today was one of those days that I would probably eat whatever I wanted. My mom is good at making sure my birthday's celebrated how we planned. Every year since I can remember I always had the birthday celebration that I wanted. But this time it would be different. I now had a boyfriend, that I'm in love with, and what I wanted more than anything, was for my eighteenth birthday to be different.

"Oh, you think, huh?" I mused, picking up the rectangular parcel. I flipped the box over to check for any writing; there was none. I tore open the brown paper and another box wrapped in a colorful birthday design met me. "Ha..." I grinned. My mom flipped the pancakes and turned to watch me open the gift.

"Breakfast'll be ready soon... c'mon open, open," mom waved me to hurry up. Her baby blues were shining and brunette shoulder length hair pinned back into a French twist around her heart-shaped face. To me, she was the epitome of grace and strength. Even though she was petite in stature, she knew how to interact with her employees and to make her business a booming success. Dark dressed pants, light blue blouse, and a fitted blazer pulled her look together. Luckily, she had two personal assistants, one with her at all times, and the other at her office making sure things there were running smoothly.

I opened the gift and lifted the lid on the white dress box. "He didn't..." I said softly to myself.

"What is it?"

"A black leather jacket, mom!" I told Rucker that I needed a black leather jacket for me to ride with him on his bike. But I was kidding with him!" I said, pressing the jacket to my chest before I slipped into the soft, warm leather.

"That's gorgeous. You picked a winner," Mom said looking content in her thoughts.

I smiled and reached for the card at the bottom of the box. I opened it, and read the card.

To my birthday girl on her eighteenth birthday

I hope this will be your best birthday ever

Happy birthday, Sweet Summer

Loving you forever

Rucker

I swiped the corners of my eyes. He means everything and more to me.

Cami came by not too long after so I could ride with her to school. Mom talked her into having some pancakes before we left for school. Her eyes went wide when she saw what I had on. "Where'd you get that jacket?" she asked, all the while running her hands over the supple leather.

"It was delivered here this morning. It's from Rucker," I smiled shyly catching my bottom lip with my teeth.

"He really likes you, Summer. I mean everyone around you guys can see it." She rummaged around in her bag until she found what she was searching for. She handed me a little-wrapped box. "Happy eighteenth birthday, chica!" she threw her arms around me, and we laughed hugging each other.