Chapter 25

Rucker's Pov

We were at Gage's house, working on welding together a new BBQ Smoker for Gage's dad. I was sweaty and wanted to clean up before getting Calista and spending time with my girl. "Hey bro, I'm gonna grab some clothes from your closet and jump into the shower," Gage smirked before returning his attention to the smoker we were working on. "Help yourself," he chuckled.

I threw his closet door open and rummaged for a pair of jeans that he kept folded above his hanging rack on a shelf. I inadvertently knocked over a shoe box, and the contents spilled out. "Damnit," I muttered as I squatted and reached for his shit and my old cell phone? "What is my cell phone doing here?" I mumbled to myself. I asked everyone if they knew what happened to my phone, and everyone assumed that it was broken and got lost and trampled on at the accident scene.

But here it was, tucked away in Gage's closet, why? The outside of the phone was blemished, and small cracks appeared at the outer corners. I pressed the power button, and the phone remained off. I needed a charger, and I knew that Gage kept his charger on his nightstand. I hoped that his newer charger would fit this two-year-old i-phone. Luckily the phone lit up, making me amp as I entered my password that I used for everything.

I couldn't believe what appeared as my screensaver. A pic of Summer and I. When I looked closely at the picture; I realized it was her eighteenth birthday party when I spotted the banner in the background. She looked so beautiful and happy in a sexy white dress, looking like she was so in love. And I wore the same kind of expression. That's impossible; I would never cheat on- "no fucking way." I gritted out as the realization of what I was staring at on my screensaver meant.

I sat back on the bed, and my mind was blown away as I scribbled through my text messages. I went back and forth between my photos and text, and I was in a stupor of shock. Summer was my everything, my half. Slowly memories popped up in my mind of her party, the hotel, our first time together, her first time was with me. My eyes opened wide in disbelief. I opened my mouth to yell, but nothing came out.

Memories of her, of us, started to flood my mind. I fell to my knees as hot tears spilled from the corners of my eyes. All the feelings I ever had for her came rushing back like a tidal wave and overtook me. I could remember everything. How much I loved her and what I promised her on her birthday. I could feel how much she loved me, and, it felt like I was stabbed in my heart, knowing what I put her through for the last two years. She stood by me even when Calista and I were together.

I don't know how long I was there looking back at all the pictures of Summer when Gage interrupted my thoughts.

"Hey bro, we were wondering what was taking you so-

I gritted my teeth before I cut Gage off. "Did you know?" I asked Gage, but he wouldn't meet my eyes. "Of course, you did, and everyone else except me! Why?!" I wanted to hear it. I needed to hear the words.

"Oh, come on, man, think about it," Gage sighed, waving his hands in the air. "Calista was the first person you asked for when you woke from your coma. You not once looked at Summer the way you looked at Calista once you came too. Who am I for that matter to spring it on you and tell you that Calista wasn't your girl no more? You would've -

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" My head was swirling with what Gage said out loud. My mind wandered back to the last time I saw Summer at the beach and how she was nervous and quickly scrambled after we kissed. I stiffened and looked at Gage. All the days and nights she was the one person that was always there for me. I remembered when I asked if she had a boyfriend, and she said, "it's complicated." But not once was she ever with a guy because she was always with me...with me. I felt my blood rush to my head as I realized that she was keeping everything all to herself.

All those shy innocent glances I caught Summer giving me. Those deep, hurtful eyes that were evident whenever Calista showed up. I shut my eyes as her tattoo - I pounded the wall - the R and S initials were our initials, not her parents. I snarled furiously. They all let me be with the wrong girl for almost two fucking years.

I snapped as I took a deep breath, my fist clenched tightly. "Who came up with that great idea to keep me in the dark about my girlfriend and lie to me, and when were you guys gonna tell me the truth?" I spat out as I struggled to my feet.

"It was my idea. I thought I was doing the right thing. Shit. When you awoke from your coma and asked for Calista, I didn't want you to freak out that you weren't with her anymore, so I talked to Summer, and even though she was against the idea, she grudgingly went along with it. It was all my fault. Please forgive me. I'm sorry."

"What the hell happened that I gave Calista up?" I muttered as memories of a Christmas eve and Calista and Dario together came storming back to me like lightning. Ah, FUCK! My mind was trying to decipher all this new information.

Till this day you don't even remember the kind of love you and Summer shared, do you? You don't even know why you, called it off with Calista. Maybe it's time you had a long talk with her."

"STOP! JUST FUCKING STOP! Are you fucking kidding me, Gage? I remember everything! I remember how much I love Summer. Do you hear me? Love NOT loved. I remember the ho that you brought back into my life while letting my half, my girl, the most cherished person in my life stand on the side while I fucked that ho again!" Caught up in my furious thoughts, I let my anger flood into my mind, feeling my fury rise trying to take over the reasonable part of me.

Why are you only telling me this shit now?" I growled, my voice barreling out of my chest. "I would've made things right! Do you hear me, Gage? I WOULD HAVE MADE THINGS RIGHT!"

"You weren't ready for the truth until the truth walked away and left your life, bro." Gage spat out.

"Fuck you! She walked away six months ago. Were you ever gonna tell me, or let me live a lie for the rest of my life?!" I shook my head in disgust. "You decided to play god with mine and Summer's life. That's fucked! 

"We're telling you now... because she needs you, asshole," Everett said, as he burst forward into the room.

"That's just it! No one told me!" I fisted my chest, as spittle flew from my mouth. "I found out on my own! Everything fucking sux for Summer! How could you do this to her? Knowing how much she means to me, you just let me kick her to the curb? FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!"

"I have to get to her," I groaned, throwing my head back.

"Well, before you go chasing after Summer, you need the truth from Calista and then come back to us, and we'll fill in all the blanks for you," Gage said with uncertainty in his voice, as he fidgeted with his back against the doorframe.

"I don't need the truth from no one. I have the truth right here," I pointed to the side of my head. "No one tells me what I NEED to do. I'm my own damn person. I go where I want to go and see who I want to see when I want. I don't need any filling in the blanks from the two of you." I let out in exasperation.

I was about to step around the spilled contents and leave when the sparkling shine of gold caught my eye just at the foot of Gage's bed. When I bent down to pick up the trinket, recognition flamed through me, "your birthday present." A memory appeared of Summer as she gave me this the night that I was supposed to fight — the night of the accident that changed our lives. My heart clenched in my chest. 

A sense of betrayal from my friends washed over me. I knew I needed to make things right again with Summer. I'd drop to my knees and grovel for her forgiveness every day if that's what it would take to have her back in my life. All I knew is that I loved Summer with my all, and I would make sure that she would never doubt my feelings for her. She's the most important, precious person to me.

I was headed to Florida. But not before I flung my right arm back and sent a round house punch straight to Gage's left side of his face. "Go to hell." I said with a tight lip.

He stumbled and fell rubbing the side of his face. "I deserve whatever you wanna throw at me. I thought I was doing the right thing. I was so wrong, so wrong," he said hanging his head low.

I turned and punched the wall as I left his room.

I was now on a mission to find Summer in Florida. I hope I'm not too late.