Chapter 22

Gage walked me out to the waiting room. I felt like I was stuck in an alternate universe and it was a nightmare. I was now the girlfriend that Rucker can't remember. And it's his ex-girl, Calista, that he's asking for, waiting to have her show up by his side.

Life can be so cruel, and when you think it's getting better, life throws you hurdles.

All of us overcame a roadblock when Rucker got into the accident, but now I would need to reach deep within me and push my feelings and wants to the side, to ensure he gets well first.

He's recovering, and he might not recognize his life before the crash, but I can live with that. And even though it's an obstacle that I'll need to adjust too, and we may not be together now in the physical sense, but knowing my other half is alive and breathing is all that I can ask for right now.

The doctor did say that there's a chance that he might have short term memory loss and like hell, he's proving the doctor's right.

"Summer... you're gonna have to fight for him. We can't upset him, but that doesn't mean that you're not Rucker's girl." Gage kept his voice low and eyes on me.

"Maybe... to everyone except him." I quietly stated back to him. Letting out a weak laugh.

"We're only allowing her back in his life so he won't be more confused and depressed, and we all know she'll have no quarrels doing just that. But it's you he loves, he just doesn't remember that, yet." He nodded slowly, " We'll all help get him there again. We will, Summer."

"I'm not ever giving him up. I'll be here every day, but for the time being she's all that he remembers, and I'll have to respect that." I furrowed my brows, and he ruffled my hair, "I need you to remind me of what I just said when the going gets tough." I told him knowing that I'll be needing more assurances as the days would drag by, and Rucker's memories evaded him.

"That will be your biggest hurdle yet. Not just anybody can have an ex walk back into their other half's life, and be expected to let them be the most important thing in their life again."

"But I have too. I have no other choice. We can't just tell Rucker that that part of his life is over and that he has a different girlfriend. Imagine what might happen to him if we threw that upon him?"

"Yeah," Gage agreed.

When I was strong enough and felt that I could put on a brave masked and enter Rucker's room, I did just that. Rucker was asleep once again, and his mom stood up so I could sit next to her son before Calista came to the hospital.

She abruptly hugged me and told me that she loved me and to never give up on her son. That one day he'll remember who I am and the special kind of love that the two of us shared. I couldn't help as my eyes welled up with tears spilling out from the corners of my eyes. We cried as we held on to each other and something special passed from her eyes to mine.

Before long she ushered everyone out of Rucker's room giving me alone time with her oldest son.

I couldn't say everything that I wanted to say to Rucker as he now laid conscious in a fitful sleep.

I lightly let my fingertips brush up Rucker's forearm, and kept my hand there. I want so badly to tell him that I love and miss him so much. So many words, but now I need to keep my thoughts silent. I can't tell him the truth until his memory of me resurfaces. I hope he begins to regain some of his short term memory back soon.

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep my mouth shut not being able to kiss or touch Rucker. How am I suppose to let Calista love on my man again?

I was whispering to Rucker as he slept being careful not to mention anything about him and me when I heard footsteps approaching, they stopped then continued after about a minute, and then she appeared. More people entered, I guess to make sure to keep the peace. I stayed seated where I was next to Rucker's bedside. Unsure eyes watched what played out next.