Chapter 1

Nick

I stormed out of the house, after fighting with Demi, then picked the kids up from school. I headed to Joe's to hang out, while the kids played with their cousins. I was avoiding going home because I was pissed off at Demi. I hated that she thought so little of me or that she thought I was selling out because I wanted to collaborate with young, hip artists who were at the top of their game, right now. It was no different than Eminem doing it in 2017 & I was offended she tried to tell me not to do it.

Joe let me vent, while we sat on his back porch, smoking cigars & drinking beers. I had two beers, which were the first two I've had, in ages. I was still seeing a counselor, once a month & she told me I would be fine to drink, since I was never dependent on it, like an alcoholic would be. I just missed relaxing with a beer or two. When Joe offered me a third one, I turned it down, holding up the one I was still drinking.

Once I finished venting to Joe, he offered some brotherly support. "She really shouldn't be telling you what to do with your career, but I do have to agree with her, on the talent thing. I don't think you need to do that, but if you need to do it to boost your confidence, then so be it. No harm, no foul, right?"

I nodded, agreeing with what he was saying. "I just really think I need to do this, since my last two songs bombed."

"I think they bombed because they weren't lyrically geared to the majority of today's audience. The lyrics were powerful, but maybe too mature. I don't know. It's hard to say what makes a song a hit, ya know? Sometimes it's luck. Pure & simple." Joe shrugged his shoulders & took a drink of his beer.

"Yea. I just need my wife to support my decisions when it comes to my career." I lifted the beer, I was drinking, to my lips, at the same time someone cleared their throat behind me. I turned around, since I knew it was Demi. I rolled my eyes as I swallowed the beer, when I saw Demi glaring at me.

"Uh... I'm going to go start the grill so I can start cooking for all these kids." Joe smirked as he walked toward Demi. "Hey, Demi." He said to her, then gave her a one armed hug.

Demi smiled at Joe as he went into the house, then turned her head to look at me. "I do support your decisions, Nick."

I leaned on the cement wall & crossed my ankles. "Got a funny way of showing it."

"I just think you are so talented, that I hate when you don't see it. How many awards do you need to win to make you realize your talent?"

"My last two songs bombed, Demi."

"Yes. They did. Lots of artists have music or movies or pieces that bomb. You just have to keep trying." Demi started walking toward me. "I am your biggest fan & I am sorry it didn't seem that way today. If you want to do these collaborations, then I will support you. I am butting out. Officially. I am just your wife & cheerleader, not your musical partner." She smirked as she slipped her hands onto my waist.

"Well, you are a part of Safehouse, technically, even if you don't do much. So I guess you do have a little say. I know you're just trying to get me to keep trying music on my own. I'm sorry I got so upset."

"You're forgiven as long as you forgive me for making you think I didn't support you."

I smiled down at my gorgeous wife's smile, then leaned my mouth toward hers to kiss her. "I forgive you."

"Good." Demi sighed, then looked at my beer bottle, that I sat on the cement wall, beside me. "I see you're drinking." She nodded, like she was just making an observation. 

I picked up the bottle & walked around Demi. "I told you Dr. West said I should be fine to drink, in moderation, since I wasn't dependent on it. And I shouldn't drink to numb anything. So I am just having a few beers with my brother."