Chapter 11

Nick

I can't put into words, the way I felt when Demi showed up the day after her birthday, at my hotel room, when I wasn't expecting her, the morning after her birthday. Since I imagined her, in bed, wrapped in another man's arms, it was a surprise to see Demi standing at my hotel room door. I had spent the earlier part of the night before, scouring the internet for photos of Demi & JD from Vegas once I saw the video of them, that TMZ posted. I spent an hour in the middle of the night, destroying my marriage & then spent the early morning hours feeling sick with guilt. Somewhere in between those hours, I dozed, but I didn't get any real rest, so my body & mind were more exhausted than they had ever been before.

"You can tell me if something went on with you & JD. I can handle it." I said to her, deep down hoping she would confess to some infidelity with JD.

"JD was drunk last night so that's why he had his arm around me. We were all dancing together, but I wasn't doing anything with him that I wasn't doing with other people. And the kiss never happened, so that was people making shit up. I swear nothing happened between us. I made sure he got to his hotel room, then I went to mine & packed my stuff so I could catch an early flight this morning."

I nodded, feeling like I might throw up. "Okay. Sorry for thinking the worst."

"You did think the worst. The absolute fucking worst. You thought I fucked another man. That was where your head was last night & looking around the room, now, I see that not only did you think the worst possible thing, you also did the worst possible thing."

I swallowed, looking around the room for any evidence of the worst thing I have ever done. "What do you mean?" I asked, my voice shaking with uneasiness.

"You got drunk. You're not supposed to drink when you feel sad or depressed & I imagine you felt pretty depressed."

I let a relieved breath, quietly, escape my lips. "I didn't get drunk. I poured a drink then took about three gulps before I got distracted with more pictures of you & JD online... and more comments about our marriage." I realized I was still holding my robe, even though I had picked it up several minutes before, so I put it on.

"People online have no say in our marriage. They are on the outside looking in... I just care that you believe me. You do believe me, don't you?"

"Yes." I sat down on the edge of the bed.

Demi did convince me that nothing happened with her & JD, which should have made me feel better, but it had the opposite effect. I had wanted it to be true. I wanted to be vindicated. I wanted to wake up from the nightmare I was in, but I couldn't, because it was my reality.

"So, now that you know nothing happened between me & JD, I think we need to get to my birthday sex. I know it's not my birthday, but we can pretend it still is. We can just go back in time." Demi purred in my ear, after she sat on the bed, next to me.

What I wouldn't do to be able to go back in time. I jumped up from the bed when Demi started moving her hand up my leg. "I went straight to bed last night so I need to shower first. You definitely don't want to put your hands on me. And you probably want to freshen up, too." I said, my gaze having trouble landing on Demi. I didn't want her to see the guilt that I knew was still evident in my eyes.

 I didn't want her to see the guilt that I knew was still evident in my eyes