Chapter 3

Nick

Avery was so excited about Mr. Bryant & Cub Scouts that it was all he talked about the entire drive home. I asked questions or expressed interest in everything he spoke about, while Demi sat in the passenger seat, staring out the window. I could tell she had something on her mind, but I wasn't sure what it was, since nothing had happened, at the meeting to warrant this kind of mood, from her. I was confused, but I'd ask her about it, later that night.

"Go in & get ready for bed, Buddy." I said to Avery after I turned the car off, in our driveway. "We'll be right in, okay?"

"Okay!" Avery shouted as he got out of the car. I watched him run into the house, excited to tell his big brothers about Cub Scouts.

"So, what's up?" I asked Demi as she looked at me sideways.

"What's up?" She chuckled. "What do you mean?"

"You were quiet all the way home. You stared out the window, the entire time. You got something on your mind. So what is it?"

Demi sighed, looking straight ahead, out the windshield. "It's nothing really. I was just trying to figure out why Mr. Bryant seemed so familiar to me."

'He seemed familiar?"

"Yea. Something about him. His voice, maybe." She shrugged, then let out another breath. "He probably just reminds me of his dad."

"Oh yea, his dad was Reid's leader."

Demi nodded, still staring out the window & biting her lip. "Yea."

"That's gotta be it, then." I said as Demi smiled at me, nodded her head, then got out of the car. I could tell she wasn't convinced, but she wasn't going to say more.

I went into the house & helped Demi get the kids' homework done, lay clothes out for school the next day & then eventually get them all settled into bed. Once the chaos of our night was over, Demi & I were finally alone, on the couch, watching a basketball game on TV. Well, I was watching a game, while she read scripts next to me. During a commercial, I took the time to tell Demi that Phil liked her idea of me being a special guest & that he would look into making it happen.

"Babe, that's great. I'm glad. It makes the most sense, to me, anyway."

"Yea, I hope it works out." I smiled at her, then turned my attention back to the TV.

"I forgot to tell you, earlier today. Phil told me I got that part I auditioned for a few weeks ago."

My mouth gaped as I looked at Demi, then I smiled, proudly at her. "Demi, that is awesome. Congratulations. Why didn't you tell me when you got home?" I asked, patting her knee, then giving it a squeeze. She held the script up to her chin, her eyebrow going up as she bit her lip. "Oh, right. You had to come home & fuck me so I would be in a good mood, when Phil called." I nodded, pressing my lips together as I leaned back, on the couch.

"At least you got sex." She pushed her lips out, as she tilted her head, looking adorable.