Chapter 16

Nick

I was coming out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around my waist, when I heard Demi call out my name. I saw her, just as she closed our bedroom door. When she turned around, I saw how frazzled she looked. "What's wrong? You look distraught." I mentioned, walking toward the bed. I heard her sigh, then she started pacing as I sat down, to face my dresser.

"Know what Mercy just told me?"

"What?"

"Jerry is thinking of dating Gianna."

I laughed, my brow wrinkling. "So?"

"This is fucking weird." Demi continued pacing back & forth, her hands moving, nervously as she looked around.

"Why is it weird?"

"The parallels of the past & the present is a little freaky, don't you think?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Jerry is you. Gianna is Olivia & I am Karleigh." She turned to face me, her face so serious, I laughed again, which caused her to stop walking, to cross her arms & glare at me. "It's not funny, Nick."

"I'm sorry, but how are you Karleigh?"

"Because she probably has feelings for Jerry & is probably denying them because of Mercy. So... Mercy would be Joe in this scenario."

I laughed out loud, throwing my head back. "What?"

"Joe is one of the reasons I denied my feelings for you, for so long."

"Okay, well Joe never told you not to date me, so he isn't Mercy." I shook my head at her absurd analogy. 

"True, but you gotta admit this is freaky. It's like the universe is repeating itself. Jerry is using Gianna to get over Karleigh, since she friendzoned him. Just like you used Olivia."

"I didn't use Olivia to get over you."

Demi tilted her head as she crossed her arms & smirked at me from under her lashes. "Really, Babe?"

"She was my friend

"She was my friend. She helped me get over you, yes, but I didn't use her for that...." Demi was still eyeing me, like I wasn't being honest so I sighed. "Fine, maybe I used her a little. I had feelings for her, though. I don't think Jerry has feelings for Gianna. I think it's just an infatuation, because she is a cheerleader, she's popular & they have this cute little relationship."

"Maybe."

"Do you think Karleigh has feelings for Jerry like you had for me?"

"For sure." Demi nodded, emphatically.

"You're not just saying that because you're his mother & you think every girl would have feelings for him?"

Demi laughed, quietly & shook her head. "No. I got the vibe from her." Demi sighed, glancing away. "I don't love him & Gianna together. She was mixed up with some bad kids a few years ago & I think she could easily make bad choices again. Not to mention I worry about her if she has real feelings for him but he doesn't return the feelings because he is hung up on Karleigh. I know what it's like to be in love with your best friend & he is dating some Beauty Queen."