Chapter 27 (Final Chapter)

Nick

I wasn't sure how much more heartbreak I could take, after finding out my grandmother only had months to live in the same week that I signed divorce papers. That particular week in February was the single worst week of my life, at least that year, anyway. When Demi kissed me, in front of my grandmother, at first, I thought maybe this devastation for our family would make Demi realize she wanted to fight for our marriage. That thought was only in my head for a few minutes, until my grandmother had me help her back to her room.

The moment I came back into the kitchen, I saw Demi's expression. I knew her well enough to know why she was looking at me, the way she was. She was only being affectionate toward me because my mom didn't want to tell my dying grandmother that her precious grandson & the love of his life, Demi, were divorcing. I sighed, shaking my head. "I know. You haven't changed your mind. You were just acting like we're still married for my grandmother's sake." I leaned on the counter & hung my head.

"You knew?"

I lifted my gaze, without lifting my head. "At first I was confused, then I saw your body language & your face when I came out here & it hit me. You don't spend twenty years with someone & not learn how to read them." My head fell again. "Well, almost know how to read them."

"What does that mean?"

I lifted my head again, this time tilting it to the side. "I clearly couldn't read you a week ago."

Demi pressed her lips together, rather than respond. "I'm really sorry about your grandmother."

"Thanks. I had a feeling, with the way my mom was acting this week."

"I know we're... " Demi started to speak, but then lowered her voice. "I just want you to know that I am here for you. Whatever you need. She's my family, too."

I nodded, then sucked my lip in. "Thanks. I appreciate it. My mom will appreciate it, too." I let out a deep sigh. "I wish my mom would have told her about us. Now I have to tell the kids to lie to their great grandmother when I bring them this weekend."

"You don't have to lie. Just tell them not to mention it."

I let go of the counter & shrugged. "I guess that will work."

"I should go, since you're here now. Your mom should be back soon."

"Thanks for staying."

Demi flashed me a smile, as she walked past me, patting my arm, gently. "No Problem. Take care, Nick. I'll see you, later."

I waited until Demi was almost to the kitchen threshold then I said, "I love you." I almost laughed when Demi stopped dead in her tracks, then turned to face me, her mouth agape. "For my grandmother...." I mouthed, pointing toward my grandmother's bedroom, then smirked & Demi rolled her eyes. I chuckled as she turned & headed out.

I spent some time with my grandmother, even after my mom got home. I loved that my grandmother's spirits were so high, because it made it easier to deal with the fact that she wasn't going to be with us for much longer. 

I was getting ready to leave, to pick up the kids, when Mom grabbed my arm, before I reached the front door. I turned around & she looked around, nervously, then back at me. "How was seeing Demi today? I know you hadn't seen her since you moved out." Mom's voice was low, just in case Grandma came into the room.

I sighed, letting my head fall back. "It was fine, Mom." I looked down at her & put my hands on her upper arms, as I kissed her forehead. "I'll see you later." I said, then saw her expression show concern. "What do you want me to say, Mom? It hurt like hell. It was like a punch to the gut. Is that what you want to hear?"