gardenia

005 SWEETNESS :

'when life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.'

//

Zelda had noticed that her grandad's new interest was flowers.

he looked after his birthday lilacs with such care- checking on them every hour near the spacious window, watering them and walking with his crooked back just to worship their growing petals. he liked having something that relied on him.

he asked Zelda where she got the precious flowers from and she smiled. she mentioned the nameless florist and her grandad said to take him one day.

his fascination in flowers became certain. even when Zelda and her grandad went on their weekly walk in the park or grocery shopping, he'd slowly walk over to the plants and flowers. she promised to go to Flores to buy him more flowers.

she had Taehyung to thank.

music is Zelda's elegant escape. she loves the speedy beats, the musical instruments, the voices and the suavity of raps. it can calm her down with a simple melody gushing through her ears.

she wishes everyday that her grandad could listen to the things she takes for granted. such as, the sound of cars rushing past with impatient people, a baby's laughter when being tickled, the rain at night on car windows as the windscreen wipers move back and forth, emotive music that makes you tingle- the kind that makes you get up and dance, the people you love- their voices. but flowers seem to now hold gist for her grandad and it makes her joyous to see him intrigued. it's good for his mind to keep bustling.

so Zelda kept her promise and went to get flowers from Flores, this time alone. it became part of her routine and she ended up going many times.

Jimin is present most days, behind the immaculate counter but sometimes he isn't. when he's there they spark up a good-natured conversation- trying to say more than just a hi how are you? but sadly it's always brief because of customers or Zelda's engaging work schedule. when he isn't there, Zelda smiles at the old stout lady who replaces the boy she admires.

but the youngsters relish seeing each other whenever they can.

Zelda feels her stomach knot when she thinks of the next day- the thought of seeing Jimin surrounded by odorous flowers. the thought of him seems to bring her mind at ease, like going to the ocean, the calm after a storm. having him fitted into her normal routine, getting to see him more, makes her look forward to her dreary routine- her everyday life.

so Zelda walks into Flores, surprised by the long queue that's usually never there. it's strange for the florist to be a prevalent place. Jimin raises his head quickly when he hears the bell ring and their eyes meet briefly as a lovely unintentional smile forms on their winsome lips and he continues to serve the talkative customer.

Zelda stands behind a boy with vivid neon blue hair that is mind blowing at first glimpse. Zelda takes a moment to take in the strangers coarse looking appearance. sluggish eyes, lips set in a straight line, even strands of hair that hide his face, a leather jacket with his pallid wounded hands in his hollow pockets. skinny legs in ripped jeans and slip on shoes on his feet as he hums- unmindful of the world around him.

but her assumption about him being intimidating fades away when he turns around abruptly, a slow smile directed at her as their eyes meet. Zelda's eyes match his hair which she finds remarkable- she's always loved blue.

Zelda smiles back, enthralled by his presence and originality. when he turns back around, continuing his joyful humming- she encourages herself to start a conversation with a lonesome boy who's also waiting for a group of flowers.