anthurium

004 HOSPITALITY :

//

Zelda looks in the mirror and rubs her eyes. she reads a quote off her mood board on the wall and rolls back her shoulders.

'you belong in this world just as much as anyone else. no matter how others see you, or how you see yourself.'

that's how she starts the day.

everyday.

Zelda kisses her grandads coarse hand as he rests in a slumber. a restful sleep is what he deserves- she thinks to herself.

she walks out of his bedroom and walks to the kitchen to make sure his breakfast is covered with a plate. she grabs her work satchel that's substantial with papers, she wraps a scarf around her neck and she closes the door of her home.

Zelda is on her way to work. she enjoys her weekdays because she gets to do what she loves- writing about things that matter to her, that impact everyone.

just as she's about to walk down the stairs, Zelda notices a stranger who looks the same age as her. her modest frame is covered with a forest flannel, one that suits her figure. murky locks of hair down her back- naturally coiled around the sides of her face, around her pierced ears and as her face turns, Zelda notices how shiny her serene and golden skin is. the girls eyes are pinpointed on the cardboard box in front of her as she drags it out of an apartment.

Zelda swings her satchel around her back as she walks over to her. it looks like she's emptying out her apartment. she doesn't seem particularly happy about it as she rolls up her sleeves, wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand as she huffs.

Zelda smiles, speaking up. "do you want some help?"

the girl meets her eyes- startled, before nodding. "yeah." brown meets blue and she's reminded of the flower boy.

Zelda moves a abundant cardboard box out of the doorway. she stacks it on top of the other boxes. there's still a few to get out of the apartment as they work together. "moving out?" Zelda starts a conversation- wanting to be welcoming.

the girls hair falls in front of her face as she bangs her boot into the corner of the door accidentally. fuck leaves her lips. "yeah, I'm moving back into my dads house .. since I spend more time there than I ever did here." she replies- not meeting Zelda's gaze.

Zelda didn't expect her to give such a detailed answer because the girl in front of her looks like someone who keeps to herself. she hasn't smiled once and the red veins of the white in her eyes, the dim eye circles and the dishevelled curls suggests that maybe she's not in a good place, that she is not okay.

not at all.

Zelda nods in agreement as they finish taking out her belonging filled boxes. the girl rises to her feet, her boots raucous against the wooden floor as she fishes out a single silver key. she bangs the door closed, an impassive expression on her face- it's hard to read her emotions.

Zelda thinks about how the stranger seems satisfied to leave her desolate apartment. did it really mean nothing to her?

"it's crazy how I just met you. I feel like we would've been good friends." Zelda admits- the corners of her lips turning up. they lived so close yet had no idea of each other's presence.

"I know right." the girl chuckles as her and Zelda move the several boxes to the outside of the lift. "but right now I'm not someone you want to be friends with."