Chapter 2: Those 3 Words

Mike couldn't concentrate through school, and he also couldn't believe that Hopper had insisted that they go to school the day after the gate was closed. He had claimed that they needed to make things seem as normal as possible and that any suspicious behaviour might draw eyes to El.

Will had made sure his mom let him come to school with the gang which was the one good thing about the day so far. The moment the Mind Flayer had pulled itself out of Will, it was like he was back to his old self, all the symptoms related to the Upside Down had gone with the shadow monster.

The boys tried and failed to pay attention during the last class of the day, all while Dustin kept turning back in his seat and mouthing to Mike, "1 hour to go", "30 minutes to go" and then "10 minutes to go" before Mrs Thompson told him off for talking. Mike drummed his fingers on his desk and stared at the clock, praying for it to go faster. He could barely contain his nervous energy to see El, he had missed her the moment he had left for school.

Seeing as Hopper had put Mike through hell by not telling him and the boys that El was safely in Hawkins, he had relented and agreed to the group being brought to the cabin where El was living after school, all of them being driven there by Jonathan who now knew the way.

Mike wondered what conditions El had been living in, and whilst he wasn't Hopper's greatest fan at the moment, he knew he would have been kind to El and not let her live in a shack or something.

Finally, the bell rang out and Mike sprang from his seat with excitement and rushed out of the classroom with Will, Dustin and Lucas hot on his tail. They walked quickly down the corridor whilst Lucas reminded the boys that he had asked Max to meet them in the playground before finding Jonathan.

Mike nodded, no longer having ill feelings towards Max. She had really shown yesterday how much she wanted to help out, and her driving skills had been amazing, she was definitely their zoomer.

They reached the playground where Max was fiddling with her skate board. "Hey Max!" Lucas shouted happily as they made their way over to her. She didn't seem that happy to see them but smiled slightly.

"You ready to go?" Lucas asked her breathlessly when they reached her. 

Max looked around at the other boys and then dropped her gaze to the floor, "can I talk to you for a second stalker?" she said quietly. 

Mike looked at Lucas with reproachful eyes, he really wanted to get going to see El and Lucas could see that. "Go ahead guys, we'll only be a second. Go find Jonathan." He said calmly. 

Mike didn't need to be told twice, "come on guys," he said happily as he, Dustin and Will wandered off to the parking lot.

"What's up?" Lucas asked Max with concern. 

She looked at him and sighed, "I don't think I should come with you guys to see El..." she said bracingly. 

Lucas looked at her in surprise, "why not?" 

Max shrugged and put her hands into her jeans pockets, "I don't know if you were blind yesterday, but she clearly doesn't like me." She said honestly.

Lucas thought back to when Max had tried to introduce herself and El had completely blanked her. He frowned, "I mean...she's not usually like that. She's normally quite shy but..." he couldn't really think of an excuse. 

Max smiled slightly, "it's fine stalker. Have fun and I'll see you tomorrow." She gave him a wave and sped off on her skate board.

Lucas watched her go, feeling his heart pull in conflict. He sighed and raced off to catch the boys as they were getting into Jonathan's car.