Chapter 39: They Call It Jealousy

January 1989

Mike walked to the cafeteria with what felt like the weight of the world on his shoulders. More specifically it was the unopened letter from Stanford that he had stuffed into the glove box of his car that was making him so anxious.

He knew it was ridiculous not to even open the letter that had arrived that morning, but he was so sure that it was a rejection and he wasn't ready to give up yet on his dreams of living in California with El.

Mike sighed to himself, knowing that he couldn't keep the letter unopened forever, it felt like it was burning a hole through his car and the weight of the decision was hanging heavy on him.

As Mike walked towards the lunch table that the party had ate at throughout high school, he made a firm decision that before he drove El home after school, he'd open the letter in her presence. If it was a rejection as he suspected, then she'd know what to say to make him feel better.

He practically collapsed at the lunch table, throwing his brown lunch bag down in front of him whilst Dustin eagerly told the others about his acceptance letter to MIT. Mike was so proud and happy for his best friend, but the talk of college only reminded him of the letter that seemed to be stabbing straight into his subconscious.

"What about you Mike? Have you heard back from Stanford yet?" Dustin asked the dark hair teenager with a warm and enthusiastic smile.

Mike jumped slightly, feeling on edge by the question. "Um...no, not yet."

"You'll get in," Lucas said patting Mike's shoulder from where he sat on his left.

Mike gave him a weak smile and glanced down to his right where El always sat. He looked around the cafeteria for her, but neither she nor Will seemed to have come out of English yet. He didn't think too much of it, knowing that Mr Reynolds never let any student out early, even at lunch time.

What did confuse Mike however was when Will came walking into the cafeteria by himself, grabbing lunch and walking over to the table with his tray.

"Where's El?" Mike asked the moment Will had sat down opposite him and next to Jen who leaned in to kiss her boyfriend on the cheek.

Will looked up at Mike, "she's on her way. We all got assigned our new projects today, so I think she's just dealing with that." He said before prodding at the mystery meat with a slightly disgusted face.

Mike nodded, his jaw tightening in worry as he scoured the lunch room once more. He tried to calm down and remind himself that she was safe, and more importantly that she could protect herself better than Mike or Hopper could only dream of doing.

He exhaled quietly, shuffling forward in his seat to open up his lunch bag and take a look at what his mom had packed him. He was just pulling out a chicken wrap when Dustin spoke up.

"Ah here she is! And she's with....?"

Max looked up too, her eyebrows raising in amusement. "Ooh she's with Matthew Watson."

Mike's head wiped up and he immediately saw his girlfriend walking through the cafeteria doors with the captain of the baseball team. They were talking animatedly, and she was laughing.

He instantly went from calmed down and cool, to heated and annoyed. His dark eyes darting from his girlfriend to this Matthew who had annoyingly broad shoulders, sleek blonde hair, bright green eyes that the girls always seemed to swoon over and a dazingly smile that made Mike sure that this dude had to have bleached his teeth.

El was still laughing as she got into the lunch line with her tray, Matthew next to her, still talking energetically.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Maggie asked curiously, all of the party watching the scene in front of them.