Chapter 40: Goodbye School

March 1989

The stands next to the track field were getting filled with supporters, not just family and friends of the Hawkins High Track and Field team in attendance, but the other local high schools gathering for the invitational competition.

The cheerleaders were out in force, doing a routine that had the audience clapping along. The shouts of "Go Tigers!" could be heard as Mike gathered onto the stands with the rest of the party and his parents and Holly. He found Joyce and Hopper waving them over from where they'd found good seats.

"Nice shirt Wheeler," The chief smirked when Mike sidled over next to him.

"Thanks," Mike grinned, rather pleased with his "Team Hopper" shirt that his mom had helped him to make last night. Of course, the moment Holly had seen what they were up to, she had to have one as well.

"So which competitions is El doing again?" Dustin asked from his side as he started to unfold the banner that the party had been working on for the last few days. Will being the most artist had to pull the slack and do most of the work for them, but it was still a group effort.

"She's doing the 200-meter race, the 100-meter hurdles and the relay race." Mike recited confidently, remembering clearly the races El was competing in and when.

Dustin nodded, "yeah Maggie's in the relay with her. And I think Darcy and Kelly?"

"Yeah I think that's right." Mike said with a nod, trying to remember her other team mates' names.

"Shit! They're coming out, quick unfold the banner." Max said spotting the girls and hurrying Dustin along to hand her part of the long-connected cardboard. The party all scurried around for a moment making sure the banner which read "Go El & Maggie! Team Tigers!" was clearly visible.

Hopper looked down at the party's masterpiece and grinned with approval, he kind of felt bad for just being in his Hawkins PD hoodie, but he knew El wouldn't mind. He had swapped a shift to be here for his daughter and whilst it was of course for her, he couldn't lie and pretend that watching her compete didn't make him smile with pride.

Mike looked up as he saw El coming out onto the field with her female team mates, all of them dressed in their uniform, talking avidly as they stretched. Just like El seemed to have a thing for Mike's swimming team trunks, he had a thing for her Track uniform. She was in the pale blue colours of Hawkins High, the tank top made out of lycra with a tiger printed in the centre was skin tight, showing off El's beautiful figure. Mike tried not to drool, especially not in front of Hopper, but when his eyes raked down her body how could he not salivate when he saw the tiny shorts she was wearing?!

As if sensing his eyes on her, El looked up at the stands and found Mike straight away. He waved, beaming with pride as she smiled brightly and waved back. Her eyes then went to the banner and her gaze lit up even more. She nudged Maggie and both girls stared at their banner, excited and waving to their friends in thanks.

The cheerleaders did another little routine and the school band played whilst the Hawkins tigers met with the other high schools, shaking hands and socialising whilst the coaches and referee talked.

There was a blow of a whistle and the crowd cheered as the invitational begin. The sound of the gun going off to start the 100 meters race made Mike jump slightly, gunfire was definitely not one of his favourite sounds. But somehow, he found himself getting into the moment, he wasn't sure if he was channelling El's adrenaline, but he found his heart was pacing and his palms were sweating as he eagerly awaited El's competitions.

The 200 meters was next and El stepped up to represent Hawkins High. She went to her marker, giving Mike one final smile before she got into the zone. Leaning down in position and breathing steadily.