Chapter 4 {Y/N}

We tell Bansai of the incident, of the man who snuck in the ship and blended as any other crew to seize an open opportunity to carry out his mission. The lieutenant doesn't seem anyhow surprised when I relate to him of the man's identity as one of the Crows members or even the while he knows whose message he had delivered.

When all information told, like his captain, the lieutenant stares to the floor as if he might find solutions there somewhere if he stares hard enough. After a focused moment, I think I feel Bansai's gaze on my face and when I look at him, he has his eyes riveted on me intently.

I tense, wondering if he senses there are things I intentionally left out. I keep my gaze curious and expecting all the while fighting to not clench my hands. Thankfully, he shifts his attention from me back to the captain.

Bansai's expression relaxes so suddenly it almost surprises me. "To think that something's up behind the shogun's stay in this city, now we've got a mysterious message from an even more troublesome person," he says, leisurely. I'd like to say that I'm mistaking, but from how the lieutenant looks now clearly states that he finds the matter rather amusing.

Sometimes, I hope that he'd pass me some of his tranquility.

"Mysterious or not," Shinsuke asserts, his expression hard as well as unreadable. "From what the passage conveyed, it might have connections to the reasons behind the shogun's stay." Though now is not the time to get lost in a reverie, the way sunlight streams through the window in tender strokes and outlines his face in gold make him appear surreal. My heart skips when his eye flickers to me.

"For all we know," he continues, taking his gaze back to Bansai, "Utsuro is planning something and the shogun's stay might act as the initial step for it."

"But..." I hear myself stutter. At the eyes of both of the lieutenant and the captain, I somehow feel the words on my tongue shrink deeper in. And the subtle agitation of my choice to join in the discussion reminds me of the un-belonging sensation I have whenever some matters are not meant for me to discuss.

But this time is different, I tell myself. I didn't have a choice to make whether I wanted to be involved or not, but rather, I was chosen to be involved in this matter.

One glance at Shinsuke also tells me so. The way his brows soothe to parallel his eye shows openness to whatever opinion I am going to voice. That's the final push I need.

"But why stay separated?" I say, catching Bansai's gaze. "With their main operation in Edo, wouldn't it make more sense if they all gather around the city? To conduct their plans." I gauge their reaction. The hardened lines on each of their face spell the deep consideration they give my point.

Bansai is the one who breaks the silence. "You have a point," he replies and meets my eyes from across the table. My tea sits idle on the surface, cold. "If they have a scheme, they shouldn't leave their main operation and instead strengthen security here." With enough light in the room to illuminate through the dark shades of his glasses, the lieutenant eyes flicker to the captain, as if reaching a quiet mutual understanding. I keep the thought away about how easily Bansai can read the captain's thoughts.

"That leaves us with two possible outcome," adds Bansai, looking proud as if he has just solved the entire case. "But considering the 'center' from the message you told me, it leaves out the other less likely outcome."

"Whatever they're planning," Shinsuke's sudden voice jolts my head to face him, "they're going to do it in Edo." I feel myself frowning slightly at the abrupt conclusion.

"But what about the shogun?" I ask, feeling like a child sticking her nose into a political matter. "What of his faction alone in this city?"

The lieutenant shifts in his seat, as if the shamisen behind his back has become a sore burden, before speaking. "He might be here for something. Or he might be here for no purpose at all. Just to avert attention and confuse thoughts we've reached."