Chapter 34 {Shimura Shinpachi}

"Gin-san, what are we going to do? There's really a war going on in our city." I fumble with my teacup and stare worriedly at the tea, half afraid that it'd reflect the image of yesterday's disaster.

Yesterday, Gin-san had precisely kicked one of Otose-san's customers out through the door when the amanto started harassing the bar by smashing glasses of drinks served to him. (Tama-san would've scorched him with her broom if Gin-san hadn't done so otherwise.)

The amanto scrambled away afterwards, but only to return again with a group of his kind, armed. Yet before Gin-san could send them flying across the street, some sudden explosions near the Terminal had the aliens scurrying instantly to the scene.

We followed the huge ruckus. Soon every scout around the city was running toward more buildings that were set on fire. Hell was already breaking loose by the time we reached there, although somehow we were grateful that it hadn't occur within our district.

Human and amanto soldiers were spilled all over the open road that lead to the Terminal. With everyone fighting without distinct groups and directions, it was hard to identity which force was the enemy and which the government's. And what they were really fighting for.

As we watched the complete chaos unfolding, with dismay I realized some people fighting were ordinary citizen, battling the aliens even if their weapons were only hands and claws. Kagura-chan and I almost rushed to help them but Gin-san held us back.

If we stepped in, it would seem like we were interfering with the government's movement to annihilate opposition. And making us one of their preys too.

But still, I can't sit with the fact that there's absolutely nothing that we can do, be it help the injured or...or anything.

     "Honestly," Otose-san exhales a puff of smoke, "they have endless time and supplies on their palm, don't they? The government." She leans to the counter, her hand holds the cigarette to her mouth and there comes another puff of smoke. "Thanks to that, they drove all of my customers away to some meaningless war," she adds with a hint of frustration.

Gin-san lifts his mug and empties the remaining yellow liquid in one gulp. He sets the mug down with a sigh. "Oi, you have your one best customer right here. One more," he demands, slurring a little as he hands the mug to Otose-san. She glares down at him but refills the drink anyway.

Gin-san takes it and stares appreciatively at the foam gathering stop of his beer. It's only afternoon and he's already reached his fourth mug. I wonder if he's still aware of our current situation with those half-closed eyes. Beside me, I hear Kagura chewing her dango.

I grip my teacup. "Are we really going to do nothing about this?" I speak, finding the relaxed atmosphere instead frustrating when people are still probably dying now.

     "There's nothing we can do," Gin-san says with his eyes still on his drink. "And even if we could manage something, do you think we can possibly stop those terrorists from rampaging the government anyway?" He presses heavily on the word terrorists. A shadow that has less to do with alcohol falls over his gaze.

     "But-"

He sets the mug down with a sharp clink. "I'm going out to hit some price," he says then stands up.

Otose-san watches after him with a bored look, her cigarette burning shorter.

     "Oi! Perm-head!" I shout after him. Though my voice rings noisily throughout the bar, it barely makes that drunkard notice as he stumbles to the door. I want to look to Kagura-chan for help.

Gin-san moves to open the door just as a silhouette appears outside. I would've think it's his shadow cast by the afternoon sun if not for the startled halt of his step.