Chapter 21 {Y/N}

I am not ready to fall into the hands of hopeless despair. Not completely, not yet.

If a shameful selfish girl would become of me then I'll be whatever I am and whatever I'm doomed be. The end of the road won't matter the least if I don't try to grab onto the strength and reach it first.

What comes after won't matter. Our promises don't matter. Because there is still another way. Another chance for me to see him, even if our promises have already chained our reunion far apart in the future.

As fleeting happiness can come of promises and words but permanent in regret and pain, the future holds them all in its vast grip. Unforeseeable. Unpredictable. Nothing is promised, but something is given.

But I'm a girl who asks for promises and never keeps them in return. I don't trust the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The port is clear of activities tonight. Only a few small boats bounce lightly on the seawater, appearing like dark stiff foams edging about the docks from where I'm walking on the shore.

Waves from the sea carry cold constant winds as they glide freely above the bodies of water and sweep past me to the shady gold-tainted forest beyond. With chirpings of birds the trees shuffles like an enormous group of murky silhouettes in the moon-illuminated night.

My kimono ruffles at the hem as I pace, careful not to go too quickly and risk tripping onto the soft sand ground. About half way to the dock and I find myself shivering faintly in the enveloping air. I clench the sword in my grip, exerting some force to keep my hand from becoming numb.

All a fighter needs to carry is a weapon when marching off to the battle field. A warrior will carry victory over her or his shoulders after she or he returns.

But I claim myself far from those honorifics.

I wield a sword to serve one purpose that I think is right to do. And I will forge a path I think is best to walk through.

I now step on hard ground as I approach near the the first dock. It hovers dangerously above the seemingly black water and the woods supporting the structure are so old and decaying that I fear it might snap and crumble any moment now. Taking my eyes anxiously from the wharf, I observe the scene extending before me to see if there's any soul still present. Then there, in the distance on the third dock, is a sight of man. He seems to be tying his boat to the dock. His white shirt is the only distinguishable color among the overall dark surrounding.

I race faster, causing my sleeves to jiggle hastily along the flowing air. My scandals pounding against the ground is the only solid sound despite the ghostly whistles of the night that might resonate all the way to the sailor ahead. He's already down the dock and is now heading to the opposite way I'm coming from.

     "Sir over there!" I call out to the man's retreating form. He slowly comes to a stop, and looks around, not sure if somebody is calling him. I halt shortly after him. My hand holds the katana nervously behind my back, suddenly wanting to hide it.

The sailor finally turns to face me, momentarily startled, revealing an elderly face lined with wrinkles. Only this close to him do I notice that he's shorter than me with a slight bent back, his hair streaked with white strands.

The sailor blinks after a silent moment. "Pardon?" His voice is raw and rough.

Realizing that I've been staring, I quickly gather myself. "Oh, um, I'm sorry for interrupting your way home," I say. "But do you know of anyone who is still on their business now?" Though I ask, it seems pretty obvious since the port is deserted.