Chapter 46 {Hinako}

We've been shown into a spacious yet empty room. Elegant paintings of bamboo leaves and green birds mark the screen doors of the entrance and the door connecting to the next room. The only furniture is a low table sitting in the middle of the expanse with one silk cushion placed next to it. One window exposes the night outside.

Daichi steps further in and wastes no time to occupy the cushion at the table, all the while fumbling with his fingers, deep in thought.

I pace to the window, thinking of what the young man previously spoke to us. Try as I might, in the end I cannot figure what sort of things Y/N had involved herself into while she was away, never mind that she claimed to be working.

     "Isn't there something wrong?" Daichi says from the table. I turn to him. "Y/N said she was working in Kyoto, and that her boyfriend is also in Kyoto. How is he in Yamanashi now?"

Without replying anything particular, I think back to the letter I read. It was from Y/N, written probably long before she returned home. But because of the city's crisis I suppose the delivery got delayed.

It was the letter I received at the same time Y/N's friend dropped by their letter at our house. I chose not to speak of it, since whatever she had written in it must had been how she was doing at her work. And it mattered less because she was home then.

After speaking with the young man just now, it helps confirm my thought about my daughter's letter. I am not all too surprised to find out that bad things are happening to her now and how she could keep it up now that I've caught some impression on the young man.

I glance at Daichi, who seems endlessly restless and clueless about who we were dealing with. How do I begin to tell him, that the man our daughter fell for is right here?

That he's a rebel.