Chapter 30 {Kawakami Bansai}

"It's all done," a tall guy says as he approaches into the alley where I'm waiting in. A few others quickly follow him into the shade and out from sight of the outside street.

All caution aside, for the time that I've been waiting here I haven't heard a single sound of conversation or activities expected in a city. Although the thought that the city's inhabitants have long forsaken their home strikes as ludicrous.

Edo is more than that.

     "What do we do now, Bansai-sama?" the same guy asks. 

I glance around to the other end of the alley. The closed doors of residents pressing from both sides darken the space and make the day seem young.

The others I've dispatched to observe for more information of the city's condition have yet come back. The Terminal might be indeed well guarded, I dare say.

     "Sir!"

We all turn as a group of voices growing near the alley. I'd say it's about three or four of them, speaking urgently. One of my followers peeks his head out to get a look.

     "It's the aliens," he says, tensed. "Don't tell me they found out..." His hand comes to rest on his sword, the others crowding my view of the outside street doing same, gripping the hilt of their blade. I motion for them to halt.

     "There's a commotion by the port," one voice says, more footstep shuffling closer but seemingly ignorant to our presence here. My follower retreats his head back out of sight, his hand still ready at his side.

     "What happened?" another voice says, likely the leader of the scout around this part of the city.

     "Some samurai showed up out of nowhere and killed all of our scouts at the harbor."

     "Where is he now?"

     "Probably still around there."

     "Curse those apes," the approximate leader snarls. "Gather the others and bring them there. The rats have finally come." With that, footsteps separate ways, the leader running up to and past us without a glance while the others scurry to fulfill their order.

My men relax when they're gone, all turning to me. A few faces present here are new, I've taken the privilege to recruit more after I get here, and the guys I brought with me are probably sneaking around the Terminal sniffing for hidden places to hide explosive bombs.

Only the ones who's been with me long enough show hints of anticipation in the set of their eyes. I can feel myself feeling the same if I focus. The changing of the music of the city, a dull constant rhythm to a tempestuous crescendo reaching highest at the port.

Finally.

I give my men an encouraging smile, confusing the new recruits. "Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time we near the harbor, the overflowing air carried by the sea already reeks of blood and death.

We slow down, scanning the area for the source of gunshots and cries. A large group of amanto swarms near the edge of the port facing the sea, forming a tight circle and overstepping their own allies' corpses lying bloodied on the ground. I don't need to see who they're surrounding, already knowing whom the swift deadly movements moving in the middle belongs to.

Even an army of the alien reinforcement from other parts of the city isn't enough to satisfy the thirst for bloodshed of his sword as more fly out of the circle and collapse one after another.