Chapter 10 {Shimura Shinpachi}

"Come on. Let's go," I prod the other two still in the house. I keep the door open for them and stand by the balcony, waiting.

A moment later comes a groan from none other than Gin-san. "Why do I have to go out in this hour again?" he complains, walking forward to the door. He lazily slips his leg in his boot before slipping in the other.

     "Have you already forgotten, Gin-san?" I remind him when he comes out to the balcony. "We've got a job today and our client told us to come and meet her at the terminal in the evening."

He turns to me and frowns. "It's in the evening isn't it? And why are we even outside now?" he says, dazed as if he's still sleepy. "It's not even afternoon yet." A long yawn delays his next remark. Then Gin-san steps away from me and intends to head back into the house. "That's it. I'm going back to my nap," he says, turning his back to me.

     "Sadaharu, come on. We'll go for a walk." Kagura-chan appears near the drawer that sits close to the door. She holds her umbrella with one hand while the other beckons Sadaharu to join her outside. The dog woofs energetically before hopping out, almost trampling on Gin-san. He scolds the dog shamelessly.

     "Shinpachi," Kagura calls, stepping out of the house and shuts Gin-san out with us. "Can you take Sadaharu for a walk with Gin-chan?"

I tilt my head to face her over Gin-san fussing over Sadaharu. The dog blocks the entrance back in completely and the Yorozuya leader tries to push the dog away, but to empty result.

     "Then where are you going?" I ask Kagura, sounding distant resulting from Gin-san's blabbing.

She opens her umbrella and says, "There's a new ice cream shop I want to check out. It's somewhere down town and is opening recently." She turns to her dog and smiles, stroking his cheek with affection and not noticing Gin-san's intention. "I'll leave Sadaharu to you. Bye-bye." With that, she starts to walk for stairs at the corner.

Gin-san snaps to Kagura, momentarily forgetting about pushing her dog away from the door. He points a blaming finger at her.

     "Oi!" he shouts, causing Kagura to crane her back. "Don't you go leaving all the work to us and get to have fun on your own."

Kagura turns back to us, holding her umbrella in determination. "Hmm? But Shinpachi says you're going to walk around until it's time to meet with our guest."

     "He's the one who said it. And he's the one who's going to walk. Alone." He groans again. "And besides, I bet he's not wanting to walk around town, but uses that excuse so that we might come across some girls so he can release some stressed up wants."

     "Is that what you think when I tell you to go for a walk!" I yell to his face. He ignores me by picking his nose and looks to Kagura, who now seems to want to break in a run.

     "Fine," Kagura defeatedly says, then averts her navy-blue eyes to me. "Then Shinpachi, you take Sadaharu for a walk. Bye." She turns to go.

This time, it's my turn to shout at her.

     "You're all so pathetic," Kagura-chan suddenly scolds, frowning. "Can't you simply take a dog for a walk?"

     "I prefer to be pathetic, because I don't want my skull cracked open in the morning. I don't want that," Gin-san points to Sadaharu, "to jump on me in the middle of the town and cracks my head open in public with his teeth or my face sliced by his claws," he blabs to Kagura, sounding slightly accented as a mock.

     "No he won't!" Kagura strongly protests. "He'll behave today. Right, Sadaharu?" The dog gives her a loud woof and looks eagerly to Gin-san. He shakes his head decidedly.