Chapter 27 [Three Idiots]

Kabuki district. A district in which lives civil women and men leading respective lives, to gangsters, thugs, rounins and rogues who form yakuza groups and roam the underworld of Edo. A place where every man is his own boss, everybody living under and not under the executive laws of the government. It is a fine diverse district, one that the government shouldn't make an enemy out of.

After all, even the most civilized people can revolt under too much oppression.

The door to Snack's Otose's bar explodes out from its lintel and flies away like a weightless wood plank. It falls and skids the length of the bar's front ground.

The loud explosion of the ruckus is so sudden that the whole neighborhood falls hushed, the air still, the people nearby looking on through windows and half shut doors with united of held breath. 

     "Oi, wolf-head. What on earth do you think you're doing?"

The amanto has himself still glued to the naked ground after been hurled out of nowhere to the door by a blurred vision of a certain samurai. He looks at the man approaching out of the bar, in which has served him the most vulgar alcohol he's ever tasted in his years of drinking.

The samurai stops before him. His presence looms, shading the low morning light in a perilous shade. A wooden sword is held loose in his grip and is leaning idly against the samurai's right shoulder.

The amanto stares at the light-headed man, stunned at his treatment by a mere earthly ape. He is one of the members of the amanto group sent there to monitor and enforce the government's emergency laws. And never once during his previous scouts had anyone dare to defy his exact words but obediently cower before him - through certain fatal threats that is.

But this man is different, so noted the appointed alien. Judging by his stance, his casual wielding of the sword, this man might prove to be more than some typical ape.

He has underestimated the earthlings, resulting to the thought of not needing to carry real lethal arms. Only a simple blade rests at his waist. And now he's starting to think that he might not be successful in this fight.

     "Didn't you hear?" the samurai with weirdly dressed kimono enunciates, his deep voice carrying. "Get your stinky feet out of my house." His eyes hold a darkness as he stares down at the amanto.

Yes, that's right. What the amanto is confronting now isn't just some play-pretend samurai. He's been kicked out by one of the biggest leaders of the apes, known and infamous among eras since the major clashing of the Joui War.

This man is known under no name but a title that instills fear even to this day.

The White Demon, Sakata Gintoki.

-------------------------------------------------

     After spending years on the run from the so-called reformed government, one can barely pass off as an ordinary man with an unearthly companion walking down the streets of Edo without extra glances.

But this isn't the old era where predictable events take on predictable individuals, when cliches happen on cliches. This era is, of course, diverse. A new time period, some people may call it.

Warriors alike, rebels alike from the past era, when every man fought for his country and every fighter was a hero, have to surrender to a foreign reign and adapt to the new-built world. There isn't guarantee, however, that those warriors would succumb wordlessly to a rule they find unjust to rule in their dignified code of living.

One of them happens to be scurrying away from the current taunt security of Edo.

     "Stop right there!" comes the constant demand of rough yelling. The thunderous roars of steps march in the lifeless alley of the city after two figures ahead.