Chapter 6: Beach

(Y/N) woke up earlier than she usually did. When her eyes finally came into focus, the clock by her bed read 6:18am. Even though it was early, she felt fully rested, which was unusual for her. Nagito was still asleep; his body was pressed against her back with his arms wrapped tightly around her. The feeling of his breath against her neck as he softly snored was comforting. After a while, she gave up on trying to fall back asleep and decided to get up. She gently wiggled loose of his grasp, trying her best not to wake him up. She sat up on the edge of the bed and took a moment to admire him.

"Nagito..." she whispered under her breath. He looked so peaceful while he was sleeping. She wanted to remember this moment. Quietly, she opened the drawer of her bedside table and pulled out a pencil and a composition notebook she had picked up from the market. She started sketching a few chords on a blank page when Nagito started to finally wake up. He reached out as if he was searching for something and laid his hand on her leg that was folded on the bed.

"There you are." He sleepily mumbled. She placed her hand on his for a moment until he finally opened his eyes.

"What are you doing?" he asked, eyeing the notebook in her other hand.

"It's nothing," she said as she placed the notebook and pencil back into the drawer.

"Is that a diary?" he said teasingly.

"I guess it's something like that."

"Can I read it?"

"You could try, I suppose" she handed him the notebook. After thumbing through a few pages of her musical scrawlings, he closed the notebook and handed it back.

"Well, I guess I can't read it after all."  He chuckled. "What's this song for anyways?"

"No reason, really. It's just how I feel. It is kind of like a diary, but instead of words, I write melodies. If I want to remember something, I write my feelings down as music. Eventually I can put all those memories together into a song." She tried to explain. "I know it sounds kind of silly, but—"

"No, it sounds amazing. You truly are talented, (Y/N). It makes me happy to see you shine at what you do. It gives me so much hope," he smiled at her, but his eyes didn't quite have their normal sparkle. Before he could continue rambling about hope, (Y/N) changed the subject.

"Do you want to get breakfast now?"

"Okay." He agreed. They both got dressed before heading to the restaurant. Nagito reached out and took her hand in his as they walked side-by-side. Before they got too close to the restaurant, he let go of her.

"Wouldn't want the others to see you with someone like me." He said softly.

"Well, I would." She reached for his hand again, this time lacing their fingers together.

--

"So what do you want to do today?" he asked her after they finished eating.

"Oh, I guess it's been so long since we've had free time. I'm not sure what to do."

"We could go to the beach. Do you like swimming?"

"Not really, but I wouldn't mind relaxing by the ocean for a while. Maybe I can work on my song some more."

"Sounds great!" and soon enough they were on their way to the beach. They decided to sit under a cluster of shady palm trees. They were relieved to find that nobody else was on the beach yet. As soon as she got comfortable, (Y/N) pulled out her notebook and got to work. Nagito leaned back on the tree with his hands behind his head, relaxing to the sound of pencil scribbling and ocean waves crashing to shore. Without realizing, (Y/N) had started humming along as she was writing.

"That sounds good so far." Nagito chimed in.

"S-Sorry," she immediately felt embarrassed once she realized what she was doing.

"Don't be sorry, I liked it." he beamed. "Keep going."

And she did just that. They sat mostly in silence for what seemed like an hour, with the exception of the occasional humming. Half the notebook was already filled, but the song was nowhere close to done. Nagito was the first to break the silence.

"How did I get so lucky?" he sighed.

"What do you mean? You are the Ultimate Lucky Student after all..."

"Being lucky is the same as having absolute power...it's a power that has terrible results due to the fact that I can't wield it with my own will."

"When you say it like that, it sounds dangerous." (Y/N) said.

"It's always a cycle of good and bad luck. Anytime I have good luck, it means bad luck is on the way."

"You don't know that for sure..."

"My luck brought you into my life. It's only a matter of time before it takes you away from me." his expression was strained as he stared into the palm of his hand. (Y/N) couldn't find the right words to say, so instead she embraced him. She put down her notebook and wrapped her arms tightly around his torso and leaned her head against him.

"Anytime I feel any happiness," he continued, "it's gone so fast. I can't keep up with this luck cycle. How can I find any meaning in my life when I have no control over the outcomes? The only thing I can believe in is hope. And my belief in hope seems to drive people away."

"Nagito..." she began to reposition herself so she could look him in the eye while she spoke. "I'm right here. You haven't driven me away."

"Not yet." he said confidently. "It's only a matter of time. And besides, the only reason you've stayed with me this long is because of my luck. If I didn't have good luck, I'd never be noticed by someone like you."

"It's not luck, Nagtio." She placed a leg on either side of him, making sure he was looking right at her. "It's more than that." she could feel herself blushing as their faces almost touched. "But whatever the reason is, it doesn't matter. Just enjoy what's right in front of you."

Before she could say another word, his lips were on hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned into him, which signaled him to kiss her even harder. They had both been yearning for each other for so long; there was no holding back anymore. Eventually they pulled away, only to catch their breath for a second.

"I've never done that before." he admitted.

"Me either. Although, we did lose our memories before we came to this island." she pointed out. "Maybe that wasn't our first kiss."

"Maybe...Hey, don't you have a song to write?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm feeling pretty inspired at the moment." She smiled as she returned to her original position next to him on the sand and continued where she left off.

--

After several hours had passed, the sun was finally starting to set and nighttime was approaching. Nagito had dozed in and out of sleep a few times while (Y/N) quietly kept writing.

"Well, I filled this entire notebook. Maybe it's a good stopping point." she told him.

"Are you finished with the song yet?"

"Not yet."

"What are you going to name it?" he asked. Her face appeared deep in thought for a moment before she finally answered.

"I think I'm going to call it 'On the Beach at Night.'"