Chapter 14

Jacen Schreave was scared. For once in his life, he didn't have a plan. He didn't know what would happen once he got down to 8 or 6 or 4 girls. He was scared that he would send away his true love and end up with someone he didn't want. His true love could be mowing a lawn or serving alcohol to wealthy people, and Jacen would never know. He didn't know what would happen to him once he chose. Would his marriage last? Would his wife decide she didn't want him and leave? Would he get heirs? Would he not?

Jacen decided, that to take his mind off his dilemma, he would take a look at his schedule  for the next week. With only 10 girls, he would do one every day for the weekdays, and 2 on Saturday, and 1 on the following Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, with the assignments coming, one on Wednesday, and one on Thursday, with a live elimination announcement on the Report on Friday. His dates were very different, each geared towards a different part of each girl, that they had chosen. Among the dates, he was going to a museum, the gardens, and having desserts. 

His first date was with Amberly, and they were taking a walk in the gardens after dinner. Jacen found himself intrigued with Amberly, but couldn't help wondering if she was hiding something from him. She was always guarded and somewhat quiet, but Jacen was sure she would come out of her shell sometime. On the other hand, her friends Carlee was quiet the star. She sparkled in the public image. On the Report, she was always poised and polite, making sure these traits carried over into her everyday life. 

Jacen had ideas of girls to eliminate, but he based this off of prior experiences, and he needed to see what they would be like in a more calm setting. Jacen turned away from his papers, and surveyed his room. His memorial swords and gun rack in one corner, loads of pictures tacked to one wall in a collage, his King size bed, made of dark wood, with a canopy hanging overhead. He had been told he took after his grandfather, what with the gun rack and the pictures. In looking at his room, Jacen realized he wasn't ready to share this part of his life with anyone else. He couldn't imagine having to share his life with anyone. Jacen walked towards his door, stopping at his full length mirror to adjust his suit. He looked at his reflection. He didn't see a prince or a man that would be king. All he saw was a boy who was lost and needed to be found.