Chapter 21

Amberly woke up to knocking at her door. She got up and opened the door to find Angeline, one of her maids, standing there, with Eloise and Emmy behind her. She opened the door wider for them to come in, and once they did, closed the door behind them. Before she could even get them, Eloise grabbed Amberly's arm and dragged her into the bathroom. She practically pushed Amberly into the shower and issued a simple command. "Wash up." 

Amberly took a short shower, and when she got out, her hair was wrapped up in a towel, and she was cinched into a dress. When the dress was on, a towel was draped over her shoulders, and the hair towel was taken out. Her hair was blow-dried, and Amberly sat as her maids did her hair ultra-fast. Whenever she tried to talk, they shushed her. Finally, a mere 10 minutes after she woke up, her maids deemed her ready for breakfast. 

Amberly wasn't sure why she needed to get ready in 10 minutes. She asked, and Angeline said, "You are already 5 minutes late for breakfast."

Amberly  gasped, and was out of her door in seconds. She swept down the grand staircase, and paused for a brief second inside the breakfast room to dip into a low curtsy directed at Queen Eadlyn, Prince Eikko, and Prince Jacen. She then assumed her place at the table and began eating. 

When breakfast was over, Amberly started to leave the room, but Prince Jacen called her over. She curtsied, and then stood to meet his gaze. He stood about 6 feet tall, and Amberly was 5'10". In the heels she was wearing, they were eye-to-eye. Jacen looked at her, and said, "Glad to see you didn't humiliate yourself too much today. Aside from being late, you did almost okay."

Amberly wasn't sure if it was meant to be a compliment or a dig, but she chose not to question it, instead saying "Thank you," curtsying, and leaving quietly.

Jacen sat down in one of the chairs and put his head in his hands. 

He looked up and saw that no one was left. He got up, turned toward the women's room, an walked off in search of someone.